Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Josh97Ellis
Helper III
Helper III

Scatter plot visualization with time stamps

Hi, I am trying to make a scatter plot that displays the output frequency throughout a day. The x-axis consists of time-stamps when each unit is produced and the y-axis is always 1 unit. I can make this chart very easily in excel, as excel groups the data properly by showing how each unit of ouput is spread out across a shift (picture below). Excel scatter.png

However, when trying to do this in power BI, the x-axis shows the individual time-stamps, so the dots are evenly spaced out. (Picture below). I tried making 15 minute bins, but BI sums up the output during that interval, where I need to see each point between each interval. 

Actual Times.png

13 REPLIES 13
Josh97Ellis
Helper III
Helper III

@parry2k @amitchandak 

Here is the same data in excel. You can see how each unit was distributed throughout a shift. Power BI seems to just display the exact time stamps that was record. 

Josh97Ellis_0-1594313320361.png

@Josh97Ellis did you tried what I recommended?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k What reccomendation? The aggregation one? 

@Josh97Ellis here it is again

@Josh97Ellis well then you cannot bin, I guess the type of time column is date/time and you have formatted it to show time only, and try to use continuous on x-axis. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k 

I can not make the x-axis on a scatter plot continuous through. I can do that on a line chart, but then I can not add the markers to show the points. 

Is there a way to make the axis on a scatter plot continuous?

@Josh97Ellis why not you use line graph and use marker available in line chart. I don't see that you have to use scatter chart because of markers.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

@parry2k 

That would work perfectly, however, BI does not allow me to have markers on a line chart that is continuous. To have markers, the chart has to be categorical, which is not what I need. 

Maybe there is an alternative in the office store?

@parry2k 

I found a perfect line chart on the market. It is the linedot chart!

Thanks for your help today!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Josh97Ellis , You can try line visual with Marker?

@amitchandak Hi thanks for the reply. 

I just tried doing that, but when I make the x-axis categorical, i'm left with the same issue - It displays each time stamp for each point. When I put time(bins) in the axis, it sums the ouput on the y-axis

@Josh97Ellis I see what is going on? Question is if you are going to use 15 min bin (15 min interval), how would you like to see the data between those 15 minutes, average? Max? Min? of course currently it is doing a sum, you can always change the aggregation. Now you have to have use some aggregation.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

@parry2k I don't want any summarization. I want to see each unit of output (1 slab) throughout the day. Here's how the table looks. 

Josh97Ellis_0-1594311017516.png

@Josh97Ellis well then you cannot bin, I guess the type of time column is date/time and you have formatted it to show time only, and try to use continuous on x-axis. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.