Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lorput

Scatter plot summarizing data

I am a new Power BI dsketop user.  Under properties, the default summarization of my Total Cost and Unit Cost are both set to Do Not Summarize.  However, my scatter plot (Total Cost on Y, Unit Cost on x) insists on summarizing the data - Sum, Average, Minimum, etc - but there is not an option for Do Not Summarize.  How can I fix this?  Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think that did it!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
willsmithorg

Take your x axis field and also drag it to "details".

This still does the aggregate, but for every unique value in the "details" field.  If "x axis" and "details" are the same column, you get a point for every unique value of the x axis.

Quant Analyst, APT, FISGlobal, London.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, @willsmithorg !

I managed to "solve" this same issue based on your answer. But I add that in order to make it work, you should change the aggregation function in "x axis" from count or sum to MAX or MIN.

If you keep the count, the x axis will show the number of records of each value in the field, and that's not what we want to see. If you use MIN or MAX, considering that all the records of each group are the same, you will get the values you want for X axis.

I put "solved", because I don't consider this a real solution, but a workoroud.

This is great as a workaoround, but I think the tool should provide a better and more intuitive way of doing this.

Thanks!!

I've tried your suggestions and I can't figure out how to generate a scatter plot without aggregation. The dataset is comprised of a datetime field and a decimal field. I want the dates to show along the x axis and the decimal score data along the y axis. How do I simply use the two values as cartesian coordinates and plot them on the x and y axis?

Thanks,
CJ

I've tried your suggestions and I can't generate a scatter plot without aggregation. The dataset is comprised of a datetime field and a decimal field. I want the dates to show along the x axis and the decimal score data along the y axis. How do I simply use the two values as cartesian coordinates and plot them on the x and y axis?

Thanks,
CJ

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Scatter plot requires an aggregation for x and y axis and size. Sounds like you want individual values. Try putting a column into Legend that has unique values for each row and then set your aggregation to SUM in the scatter plot. x + nothing = x.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I think that did it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.