Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

winnston84
Regular Visitor

Scatter plot showing growth/decline

HI,

I'm looking for some help to show the growth/decline in products (i.e. Phones, Laptops, Tablets, Desktop PC) between years e.g. 2013-2018. Essentially i am wanting a scatter graph showing:

• Size of bubble representing the total number of each category between the years
  • Position on the chart vertically indicating the growth or decline of the product (i.e. laptops having 80% of total amount in 2013 and 5% in 2018 is in decline)

I have found this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-scatter but am unable to follow it to make it work, as i am new to PowerBi. It has in the data something called "ScenarioID" and i have no idea what that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, apologies as i am sure this is very simple.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @winnston84 , 

I am not clear  about your data structure, I don't know the feature of  last several columns, if possible, could you please explain it to me in details. In addition, I use first 5 columns to create a report, you could refer to my sample for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @winnston84 , 

I am not clear about your requirement, if possible could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data (by OneDrive for Business))? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VQLviaaKEmLFcnWRmSvi8p0u_QRsMNqG

So i believe this is the calculation i am trying to achieve, the final column being the growth/decline of products over 5 years. From this I would hope would achieve a plot something like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h86ccJC9TF6SrfxBloTo426nXeev-Qjp

Fundamentally, i want a nice clear way to show which products are in growth and which ones are in decline.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @winnston84 , 

I am not clear  about your data structure, I don't know the feature of  last several columns, if possible, could you please explain it to me in details. In addition, I use first 5 columns to create a report, you could refer to my sample for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Well the bit im struggling with is how to calculate the actual measure of if a product category is in growth or decline.

Between two years, i have found the calculation for that. However across say 5 years, i am not sure what the calculation is. I believe there is an excel formula called "LINEST" which will do it and provide a final 'score' which will be positive or negative - growth or decline. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@winnston84 it is pretty straight forward, see image below from the same link you mentioned in the post, you need to just add your measures and column in the respective section and you will get what you are looking for.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Right thanks, that helps me understand what I need to do, but I am struggling to understand what measures I need for x and y

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.