Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scatter plot 60 points only?

Hi folks,

I feel a little bit weird asking this, but could it be that a scatter plot can display at most 60 points at once? I would like to have a quick visual inspection of my data in terms of clustering, outliers, trend lines and I have a few thousand entries easily in my dataset which I would all like to be displayed at once of course.

In my previous work, where I had a MATLAB license, I would just quickly do a spy / scatter whenever I loaded a large dataset to see where I am at and take it from there.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers, AB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think the limit is much bigger

refer : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-data-points

Anonymous
Not applicable

I eat my words.

I recreated the report, with the same filters and visuals and it works like a charm now. I must have set the wrong tickmark somewhere when instead I wanted "don't summarize"... Cannot really reproduce the error now. 

Anyways, for future reference, this is how many data points I see now:

image.png

... enough for my purpose.

@amitchandak Thanks again for the quick reply.

Cheers, AB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. As far as I undestand it, what you are referring to is the limit of data points that is sampled from the underlying datasets to calculate the intended summation (or averaging or counting or whatever), for each point. Since the underlying dataset can easily have millions of entries, it might not be neccessary or fast enough to to the precise calculation for the reason of plotting alone so the data that goes into computing the bubble size is only sampled from the data in the model.

So let's say I have points (x,y) with sales data from specific products where x represents the age that an item is targeted at and y represents the color code, then I could have bubble sizes that represent the overall sales revenue for each combination but not all data in the source is effectively summed up (or averaged or counted) to calculate each bubble.

So my original question still stays the same: Can anyone show me a scatter plot that has more than 60 circles visible like this one?

image.png

Or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers, AB

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors