Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newpi
Helper V
Helper V

Scatter chart has overlapping values which get hidden

Hi I have a scatter chart with measures on the X & Y Axis 
X Axis measure is days completed

Y Axis measure is No. of users

Details field has Student name

Size field also I'm using no. of users. measure

The detials field has user name . There are some users that have same X & Y Coordinates. So one gets hidden behind the other. I searched the community and one of the ways to solve this is using the following measure in size field on the scatter chart. 

Size Measure = IF(ISFILTERED(Table1[Student]),COUNTROWS(Table1),CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1),ALL(Table1[Student])))

But this doesn't solve completely. Like if 3 or more students have the same X & Y coordinates, then not all lables are visible and only 2 are visible on the same coordinates. And if possible I would want to use the size field for no. of users and not the above size measure but I can compromise here if could separate out the bubbles (make them visible) on same coordinates . 

Alternatively, I'm open to using a better visual for this if scatter plot doesn't solve it. All I need is to show 

days completed since signup (measure)

No. of users (measure)

Student name . (column value)

These values need to be clearly visible and I have around 20 distinct points in each chart.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @newpi ,

You can create a calculated column to replace [Days since signup] measure to use it as x-axis and try to use a custom visual 'Dot plot by MAQ software'

Datediff = DATEDIFF('Sheet1'[signup date],TODAY(),DAY)

dot plot.png

See the modified sample file in the below, hopes to help you.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yingjl Thanks for reaching out. Its a little more complicated. Instead of signup its actually sign in and a user can have multiple rows of signin date and thus I then need to take the last signin date. But unable to figure out how to do it here. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@newpi , Try to increase transparency, reduce the size . or put student or student id as legend

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-scatter

or add some very small random value to x and Y

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to Format Tab

Under format expand Shape

-> Change the Size of the marker to adjust it accordingly, hopefully you will be able to get all the labels that get hidden or overlapped.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks @FarhanAhmed 
Adjusting the size helps when I have 2 overlapping bubbles but it still does not solve the problem for 3 or more Bubbles overlapping on same coordinates . If I have 3 or more, then it shows me their value in the plot but I cannot hover over all 3 individually and see tool tips created for them on a tool tip page.

Can you please share some sample data that is overlapping in the Scatter Plot ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

@FarhanAhmed  Attached is smaple pbix file.

You see U1, U2, U3 are on same coordinates but when I click that bubble only U3 gets selected on the top .

I want a way to show all point that are on same coordinates and also select all in the top table

Weird, I cant seem to attach the file. There is no option herehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1oSqT3SKsZSlwIpfNFktMH2WRaiIa8H1d/view?usp=sharing 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.