Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scatter Chart Problems

Hello,

I have a data for a contractor, project,, Project type, actual progress and date

The date I have for four months Jan, Feb, March, April then I have actual progress percentage for each project and next to it the contarctor. I want to create a scatter chart which I can play the months and in the x axis will show the projects names, and the y axis shows the progress to play how much progress the contractors are doing over time. When I try to build the chart I get the followin

error.PNGdata.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
Wanga

The problemthat I am  experiencing is that on my powerbi desktop, the details facility does not exist.Can anyone help me?

stevedep
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The X and Y values need to be numeric in a scatterplot. 

Hope it helps.

Kind regards Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevedep  I tried a lot of different options but nothing worked so far. Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Capture.PNG

Hi,

Since the scatterplot any accepts 2 numeric values, one for the x-axis and one for the y-axis. You are probably looking for a different (custom) chart like, 'Animated Bar chart race', which animates bar charts. As seen below:

race2.gif

Power BI file

Hope it helps. Pls mark as solution if so, thumbs up for the effort appreciated.

Kind regards, Steve. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevedep 

I wanted something like the video attached but instead of total sales it will show the projects name and instead of sales units it will show the progress ...

In that case you need to create an artificial x-value:

xaxis.png

Then you can play the results for the y-value, colour by project name. 

scatter2.gif

Link to Power BI file here

Please mark as solution if this helps you. Thumbs up for the effort are appreciated.

Kind regards, Steve. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevedep  no it did not unfortounitly. It wasted so much time, so I gave up making it. 

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Too bad, I see month is a text value and not a number btw.

The date column is a text field? These cannot be played. Can you make it a date or a number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevedep  it is date 

You can experiment your self if you make a simple table with three columns, project name, date, progress and just try it for two months it wont even work

I just need to play the progress of each project by month

Capture.PNG

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to show like this:

scatter chart.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your replay. If I want to show it the same way as you suggested then I will lose the biggest benefit of the scatter chart which is showing the progress changes over time through the play axis.

The three axises that I need are:

The project name x axis 

The progress percentage on Y axis

The month on the play axis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.