Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving my PBIX to PBIT retains original data?

Hi,

I have recently created a report using a series of Excel files stored lcoally and synced on OneDrive and saved it as a .pbix file. I now want to create a template .pbit so I can share with others who will create their own source files with all the same fileds and named the same as the orginal files. However, when I save my .pbix to a .pbit it keeps all the original data????? Am I doing something wrong here, please can you help?

Regards,

Rob.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

the data isn't stored in the pbit. But the credentials to the source are stored locally in the data source settings. That's why you are not prompted when opening the file.
You can test this by deleting the credentials and trying to open the file again. Then you will be prompted to re-authenticate.
Also, if you send the pbit to another user, they will also be prompted to authenticate.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Report data will not be included in pbit files. When opening a template file, Power BI Desktop will use your credential to connect data source and load data automatically. You can disable data load by unchecking Enable load in Power Query Editor for every query. In this case, you can preview data in Power Query Editor. Data won't be loaded  into pbix file unless checking Enable load.

Right click on queries in Power Query Editor, uncheck Enable load:

v-cazheng-msft_0-1611543946684.png

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,

doesn't the file size change?
If you have not parameterized the path to Excel, the data will be loaded directly from Excel when you open the PBIT.

PBIT.png

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Although the file size does change to a smaller size the data is still there as it refreshes when I open it. Also, when I open the newly created pbit file which I rename it has an untitled name. 

RobGreenahlgh_0-1611171452581.png

RobGreenahlgh_1-1611171567211.png

This is not the usual behaviour I have been used to when creating pbit files. I normally use SQL DB and when opening the file it promts for DB name and server name with credentials etc. This is really strange. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Rob

Hi @Anonymous ,

the data isn't stored in the pbit. But the credentials to the source are stored locally in the data source settings. That's why you are not prompted when opening the file.
You can test this by deleting the credentials and trying to open the file again. Then you will be prompted to re-authenticate.
Also, if you send the pbit to another user, they will also be prompted to authenticate.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @Anonymous ,

I think you can create the desired behavior by setting the path to the excel file via a parameter.
Then the PBIT file should first ask for the path to the Excel file when it is opened.

Parameter_Excel_Path.png

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , As per documentation, report data should not be part of the templates

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-templates#creating-templates

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my question. I have read this document and followed the guidelines, however, when I open the newly created .pbit file it automatically refreshes the data from the original data files, how can I prevent this?

Regards,

Rob.

@Anonymous , I need to check on this. One of the ways is to point to an empty data source.

@ImkeF , @mwegener , can you help with this

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.