Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seabrew
Helper II
Helper II

Save map location - Cannot read property 'recenter' of undefined

I have a need in some reports to have the map set to a certain region of the US. The map Auto zoom setting is turned off. In the last month or so the saved map location gets lost. The map instead is zoomed out to the level of the continental United States. 

This map visual has been working correctly for the six months prior to this issue. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any fix?

Here is a snippet of the related error that I can usually reproduce in Power BI Desktop: 

Error Message: Cannot read property 'getCenter' of undefined

Stack Trace:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'getCenter' of undefined
at Map.updateZoomPanStateFromControl (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/mapVisuals.js:817:46)
at Map.onViewChangeEnded (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/mapVisuals.js:767:149)
at ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/mapVisuals.js:756:27

AS Live Connection:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_EnableReportTheme
PBI_numericSlicerEnabled

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
CustomConnectors
PBI_AdobeAnalytics
PBI_qnaExplore
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_customVisualsGallery
PBI_canvasTooltips

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

Formulas:

section Section1;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @seabrew,

=> This map visual has been working correctly for the six months prior to this issue. 

In your scenario, did you mean that the map report was created six months ago and when you open it in the newest Power BI Desktop, it didn't work?

For your issue, there's one possibility. First you should know that the map control was just updated in June 2017 update. If your map report was created before this update, it may cause the issue. Please verify this.

Reference: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Map-Visualization-Not-Working-On-Power-BI-Service-Work-in/t... 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @seabrew,

=> This map visual has been working correctly for the six months prior to this issue. 

In your scenario, did you mean that the map report was created six months ago and when you open it in the newest Power BI Desktop, it didn't work?

For your issue, there's one possibility. First you should know that the map control was just updated in June 2017 update. If your map report was created before this update, it may cause the issue. Please verify this.

Reference: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Map-Visualization-Not-Working-On-Power-BI-Service-Work-in/t... 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

@v-xjiin-msftwrote:

Hi @seabrew,

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

I meant that this pbix file I work with monthly and that I created the pbix file around 6 months old. The maps were working fine , in that they would retain the region of the US that I wanted to be shown by default. Only recently did the save location no longer stick in PBI Desktop and I received this error message.

Thanks for the link. That isn't my issue. The maps show up fine both in PBI Desktop and the PBI service, however, the save location of the map is not remembered.

seabrew
Helper II
Helper II

I should also mention that I am using Power BI Desktop build 2.56.5023.861. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.