Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laserkiwi
Frequent Visitor

Save as / migration options?

Hi,

I'm finding Power BI a little frustrating in terms of the workflow required to re-use existing reports and/or datasets. Perhaps I'm missing something so if anyone has any suggestions for me to improve my workflow and keep it as DRY as possible, I'd be totally grateful.

I always use the most recent version of Power BI Desktop, although I've found older reports don't always have the current functionality available when re-opened in PBI Desktop, compared to creating a new file in Power BI.

Is there any other way to migrate visual elements, measures, the data model, etc, from an existing report, to a new report where all functionality is available other than re-creating it manually?

Today I want to make a new report from an existing data model. I have a copy of my pbix with only a blank page in the front end, but it's the old-style pages (no dotted boundry & improved layout options). I want to take advantage of the updated features.

The data model has 57 queries in it, and I'm facing the task of having to open Advanced Editorand copy & paste the code for each one individually into my new report, and then I've got about 30 measures to re-create.

I speed things up with the latter using DAX Studio to export my measures to Excel so I can fire through copying & pasting them, but there's got to be a better way than this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@laserkiwi,

As far as I know, there is no elegant way. You may submit an idea via https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any better solution available for this yet?

You can reuse the entire datamodel, and copy visuals from the source pbix to the new pbix. 

Step 1: Publish your source file to powerbi.com from the desktop
Step 2: Open a new power bi desktop
Step 3: Connect to a power bi dataset
2020-04-24_10-27-58.jpg
Step 4: navigate to your dataset of the previous published report

You can now use the linked datamodel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.