Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kristofferaabo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Sateset to return first and last date

Hi all,

I have a large data set with multiple 'project timelines'. I want to to get the first date and the last date per country for each of these projects..

What I currently have doesn't filter in the project. The way I would solve that in excel would be to make a pivot as the attached picture below:

My wish would be:

1. A smart DAX formula that can return the first date (start date) and the last date (project end) per country AND per project

2. or a way I can set up a that same type of pivot in powerBI, that way I would connect/link the pivot table to my 'master sheet' throgh the project code.

I hope this makes sense

Thanks

Kristoffer

"MASTER SHEET"

date_p1.jpg

"PIVOT SHEET"

date_p2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

I created a featured sample. There could be two solutions. 

1. Create a table visual directly.

2. Create a calculated table.

Table =
SUMMARIZE (
    'Table1',
    Table1[Country],
    Table1[Porject],
    "Start Date", MIN ( 'Table1'[Start Project] ),
    "End Date", MAX ( 'Table1'[End Project] )
)

Sateset_to_return_first_and_last_date

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

I created a featured sample. There could be two solutions. 

1. Create a table visual directly.

2. Create a calculated table.

Table =
SUMMARIZE (
    'Table1',
    Table1[Country],
    Table1[Porject],
    "Start Date", MIN ( 'Table1'[Start Project] ),
    "End Date", MAX ( 'Table1'[End Project] )
)

Sateset_to_return_first_and_last_date

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks the SUMMARIZE table absolutely does the job! - Do you know how I can make these distinct?

Normally I would 'remove duplicates' in the query editor, but I cant find the table in there?

Any ideas?

Krsitoffer

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Is there anyway I can make the SUMMARIZE function only to take distinct values in, or have that column remove duplicates afterwards? I cant see the table in the query editor..

Thanks

Kristoffer

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

Generally, the result of Summarize is unique. Can you share a more featured sample? If the duplicates are exactly the same, we don't need to care them due to the function MIN, MAX will do. If they are just partly same, please point out how to keep the desired values.

Best Regards,

Dale

HI @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your good reply, this makes sense...

Looking at this more detailed. I think the problem is NULL values. Is there a way I can remove those from the master table, then I'm sure I can link the table.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.