Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wes-shen-poal
Helper III
Helper III

Sankey weighting not reflected accurately in visual

Hi all,

When using a Sankey chart, the thickness of the ribbons does not reflect the weighting

E.g. screenshot below:

Number of counts from Port Kembla to Auckland is 2,654. From Nagoya Aichi to Auckland is over 8x of that. Yet in the visualisation, the ribbon thickness is very similar thus misleading.

Capture.PNG

Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Is this a known problem and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Wes

28 REPLIES 28
Pyguypy

Hello,

I am experiencing a very strange issue with Sankey diagram, the numbers do not format correctly, so when I format in SSAS tio use currency like £24,000,500, in a visual card it works, but in sankey it shows as 24000500.000000333. Any ideas?

IlfatGaliev
Frequent Visitor

Hello

@wes-shen-poal
@1taylor
@v-ljerr-msft
@rajeev,

Sankey visual was updated with the new property to change scale settings from linear to logarithmic. By default will be used a linear scale. 

Ilfat Galiev,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Hi @IlfatGaliev

I also tried and import updated sankey custom visual from the store. I get a blank visual. Is it because I only have the April 2017 Power BI desktop version?

Thanks

Wes

@wes-shen-poal, please upgrade your Desktop app to the latest version

Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals,
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I was wondering how things are going as I was playing around with the Sankey again and noticed that sometimes the weighting of lines works and sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be related to the number of categories it is mapping between .. but not always.

There are some nice changes in the new sankey such as being able to cross-filter by clicking on parts of it, so looking forward to once the bugs get ironed out.

Hello again,

@wes-shen-poal
@1taylor
@v-ljerr-msft
@rajeev,

The update of Sankey 1.2.7 was published. The API version was downgraded to 1.6.0, I think, it's will help to work Visual in old Power BI.

I mean Power BI version, which doesn't support the latest API. Now it's 1.7.0.

And update contains some fixes:

• Fix scale settings text.
  • Fix displaying the visual with numeric at Source and Destination fields

Power BI must download the latest version from CDN in the background. 

Could you check Sankey visual in your dataset, please?

Thanks!

@Anonymous thank you, your samples were very useful to investigate the issue. 

Ilfat Galiev,

Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have tried the latest version of both things and it is not working (doesn't plot any data in a confguration that previously worked). 

I also went back to try a version 1.0.0.0 of the Sankey and that doesn't work anymore, so it would appear there has been a change in Power BI itself that is breking the Sankey under certain circumstances.

Hi  IlfatGaliev,

i updated the new Sankey visual from the Store.

it is not changing the weight of the lines even now. pl help.

Hi @rajeev

Did you also try and change the scale setting to logarithimic and still didn't work?

Thanks
Wes

Hi @wes-shen-poal@rajeev,

What @IlfatGaliev mentioned is a new property, and it is not the fix of the weighting issue.

I just confirmed that expected update of version in Prod for the fix of this issue is 8/1. Smiley Happy

Regards

hi,

This is still not working inspite of downloading the latest desktop update and updating my sankey visual.

please help.

i tried today i.e. Aug 10th.

Rgds,

Rajeev.

@rajeev, could you send a sample report to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com? I mean, the report without private data.

It was very useful to investigate the problem.

Thanks!

Ilfat Galiev,

Software Engineer

Sorry for the late reply, been tied up with a lot of deliveries.

it had got resolved within a week of your message. 

Thanks for the replies, guys. appreciate the time spent.

rajeev
Frequent Visitor

Yes.  it was working so beautifully and now the customer is getting irritated.

all the connectors from source to destination are showing as having the same width. 

Please help resolve!!

@rajee, thank you for your feedback. 

We've experienced the same issue. We’re going to fix it in an upcoming version of the visual.

Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have just noticed that the Sankey diagram has stopped working completely. It isn't plotting any data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also noticed that any reports using the Sankey diagram in the service have also stopped working. Even if these were published quite a while ago.

@Anonymous, are you testing Sankey in Desktop App or in web service?

If in Desktop, please try to update it to the latest version. 

Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The error appears in the service and in the Desktop. Also in old and new reports in the service.

I have found the error in older versions of PBI Desktop. I have also upgraded to the latest version of PBI Desktop and will encounter the same error. 

The data itself is fine as it will plot without a problem with other visuals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am just wondering if I shoud stop using the Sankey diagram or whether this will be fixed?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.