Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wes-shen-poal
Helper III
Helper III

Sankey weighting not reflected accurately in visual

Hi all,

When using a Sankey chart, the thickness of the ribbons does not reflect the weighting

E.g. screenshot below:

Number of counts from Port Kembla to Auckland is 2,654. From Nagoya Aichi to Auckland is over 8x of that. Yet in the visualisation, the ribbon thickness is very similar thus misleading.

Capture.PNG

Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Is this a known problem and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Wes

28 REPLIES 28

@Anonymous, we're investigating the issue, after that we'll release the new version.

It would be great if you can send a sample pbix file to us. It would speed up the process.

Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals,
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have found a bunch of examples of what appears to currently break Sankeys and have sent a PBIX file containing these through to you. I think it is something to do with having your Source and Destination fields in different tables from the value your are measuring, or from each other. Although sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

Also copying a sankey in certain situations seems to break the copy. 

Chaing the fields in an exsiting sankey can appear to break it as well and it will display fields that used to be in it rather than the new fields.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have just sebt a PBIX and associated example Excel data file to the requested email address.

It is just some made up data data. However it is not plotting consitent with the error I am seeing elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Ben

Hello @Anonymous, could you please send the sample pbix file to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com?

We'll investigate the issue.

Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals,
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am afraid that the data is confidential so I can't share a pbix file. However data where there is information in the service that hasn't been refreshed for a few months has broken, as have ones that are refreshed nightly.

This is also the case for multiple different sources so it would seme to be a pretty wide-spread error.

I will attempt to replicate the problem with some safe data and then send you a PBIX file.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wes-shen-poal@1taylor,

I have reproduced this issue on my environment. I will report it internally and post back if there is any feedback. Smiley Happy

Regards

1taylor
Regular Visitor

Also, if I roll back my Power BI to the version (May) that the Sankey Diagram chart worked fine for me in (with the same data that is now not being weighed correctly), it now won't even plot it. 

1taylor
Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same thing. My Sankey chart is weighing $74 million the same as a $.4 million. I've tried recreating it with updated Power BI, different excel sheet, etc. and it still isn't working. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.