Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sankey/Flow Diagram Data Structure

Hi Everyone, I am trying to use Sankey diagram for the first time and after several hours of research and experimentation, I still can't figure out how to get the data structure formatted the way it needs to be. I'm attempting to basically translate Google Anlaytics Multi Touch Attribution data into a data flow visualization to quantify and visualize the number of conversions from each journey type. I understand that the structure must be as follows: Source Destination Weight/Value The following is an example of the data set that comes out of GA: ________PATH______________ _____# of Conversions_____ _____Conversion Value_______ Email > Paid Search > Email > Organic 90 $1,500 Paid Search > Direct > Email 77 $1,239 So I have gotten as far as splitting the various path types by a > delimiter, but I don't know how to structure/group all the various path combinations when there could be repeating channels at different touch points of the path. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some direction on the way to structure the data to make Sankey charts work. Thanks in advance! LeMarc
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Please check if page 1 in attached file could help.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may have a look at below article.Here is the sample report for your reference.

http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-sankey

For 3rd party Links:

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply @v-cherch-msft. I've followed several tutorials but all of them use data structures that are already in formatted to work easily with the Sankey visual. I'm trying to understand how to transform my dataset so that it is optimized for Sankey. I realize now that my formatting didn't show up correctly so below is what my raw dataset looks like that I'd like to understand how to transform for use in the Sankey visual.

Default Channel Grouping 2.0 PathConversionsConversion Value
Channel 2 >  Channel 142$14,543.00
Channel 2 > Channel 3 > Channel 119$4,512.00
Channel 5 >  Channel 111$74,122.00

Hi @Anonymous 

Please check if page 1 in attached file could help.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.