Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbuhary
Helper I
Helper I

Sameperiodlastyear without dates in Fact Table

Hi All,

I have a fact table with only Year & month.
I have created a Date Table using these two columns via Calendar function using Min Year & month and Max Year & Month and marked it as a Date Table.

But When I try to create a measure for Previous Period Calculations the results appears without any filters for the whole available data.

Measure:

SalesValue = 
VAR SumValue=SUM(Daily_Sales[SalesValue])
VAR Result= CALCULATE(SumValue,SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(d_Date[Date]))
Return Result

Any help is appreciated.Model.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mbuhary , You can then create date from year and month 

example 

date = date([year], [month],1) // I can suggest more ways 

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last month Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),previousmonth('Date'[Date]))

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mbuhary , You can then create date from year and month 

example 

date = date([year], [month],1) // I can suggest more ways 

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last month Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),previousmonth('Date'[Date]))

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))

Thank you, I was thinking on the same lines, and it solved the Issue.

I removed the additional Table d_Year/Month and now directly created relationship of the fact table with date table. So now all Time Intelligence functions are working.

e.g. for same period last year,

mbuhary
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you for your reply in detail.

So do you mean that I will not be able to use any Time Intellignce functions using the Date Table ?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mbuhary , With help of d_yearmonth you can get data of the previous year

new column in d_yearmonth 

Month Rank = RANKX(all('d_yearmonth '),'Date'[YrMonth],,ASC,Dense)

example measure

This Month = CALCULATE(sum('daily_sales'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('d_yearmonth '),'d_yearmonth '[Month Rank]=max('d_yearmonth '[Month Rank]))

Last Month = CALCULATE(sum('daily_sales'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('d_yearmonth '),'d_yearmonth '[Month Rank]=max('d_yearmonth '[Month Rank])-1))

Last year Month = CALCULATE(sum('daily_sales'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('d_yearmonth '),'d_yearmonth '[Month Rank]=max('d_yearmonth '[Month Rank])-12))

//Only year vs Year, not a level below

This Year = CALCULATE(sum('daily_sales'[Qty]),filter(ALL('d_yearmonth '),'Date'[Year]=max('d_yearmonth '[Year])))
Last Year = CALCULATE(sum('daily_sales'[Qty]),filter(ALL('d_yearmonth '),'Date'[Year]=max('d_yearmonth '[Year])-1))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors