Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tvisual
Regular Visitor

SamePeriod Last Year is calculating -365 not -364

Hi, 

I have upgraded my Power BI Desktop to new release (Version: 2.68.5432.841 64-bit (April, 2019)). For some reason my same period last year is not working properly. I have downloaded 64 bit. 

So basically, I created a date table in Excel and imported into powerbI desktop, applied "Marked as date table". Created a function (Same period last year) and for 04/28/2019 it is giving me 04/28/2018 not 04/27/2018. 

Do you know what I am missing? 

TDate.PNGPLY.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Tvisual 

Per your reuquirement, create a measure

LY you expected = CALCULATE(MAX('calendar'[Date]),DATEADD('calendar'[Date],-366,DAY))

6.png6.png

As tested, for 2/29 in a leap year, use "SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' will get a duplicate date at this date, but use "dateadd" can have different dates.

There are measures as below, select the one most satisfying your requirement.

LY = CALCULATE(MAX('calendar'[Date]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('calendar'[Date]))
LY you expected = CALCULATE(MAX('calendar'[Date]),DATEADD('calendar'[Date],-366,DAY))
LY2 = CALCULATE(MAX('calendar'[Date]),DATEADD('calendar'[Date],-365,DAY))

On my site, 2016 is a leap year.

7.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

That is calculating correctly. It isn't doing the date minus 365. It is doing the same period last year. If your context is at the month or quarter level, it will report the same month or quarter lest year. So for April 2019, SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() will return all dates for April 2018, not March.

The only weirdness is with leap years at the day level granularity.

image.png

It will report Feb 28 as the SPLY for Feb 29.

See the definition for more info. If you want it to be 364 days back, consider the DATEADD() function. 

Be careful with how you are using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR. It doesn't return a date. It returns a table of dates. At the day level, it happens to be one date. At the month level, it will be 28-31 records. That can cause a measure to return an error if you aren't handling it as a table to start with.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Is there a way to get -364 value as compared to -365 and adjust with leap year?

Hi @Tvisual 

Per your reuquirement, create a measure

6.png6.png

As tested, for 2/29 in a leap year, use "SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' will get a duplicate date at this date, but use "dateadd" can have different dates.

There are measures as below, select the one most satisfying your requirement.

LY = CALCULATE(MAX('calendar'[Date]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('calendar'[Date]))
LY2 = CALCULATE(MAX('calendar'[Date]),DATEADD('calendar'[Date],-365,DAY))

On my site, 2016 is a leap year.

7.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes. You'd need to use the DATEADD() function and use 364 unless 2/29 is a valid date for the current year, then use 365.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.