Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

liboyjoseph
Frequent Visitor

Same day Last year Measure | Unable to calculate total

Hi Guys,

I am facing challenges with the same day last year (not same period last year) numbers, Below is my measure and I can the calculation is perfect. but I'm unable to calculate the total for the matrix, Can someone help me with this, please?

For example, we are comparing sales Day to Day, Jan 2019 1st is Tuesday, so we do comparison Tuesday to Tuesday Last Year Jan-2018 1st week which is Monday. When I compare 01-01-2019 (Tuesday) it should return Tuesday from 1 Week of -Jan-2018. 

I have found a solution for above, 

SameDayLY =
CALCULATE (
SUM ( 'Actual'[Actual]),
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Date' ),
YEAR ( 'Date'[Date] )
= YEAR ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) ) - 1
&& WEEKNUM ( 'Date'[Date] ) = WEEKNUM ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
&& WEEKDAY ( 'Date'[Date] ) = WEEKDAY ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
)
)

It works for me, but it doesn't give Total for my matrix. Does anyone know the best practice to create a measure for the business scenario? Please help @ 

powerbi-matrix1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally, I've found a solution. Below measure works for me. 

SameDayLYy =
CALCULATE(SUM ('Actual'[Actual]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATEADD('Date'[Date],1,DAY)))

Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @liboyjoseph ,

It is caused that the row context ( "Month" in your sample) affect the measure of SameDayLY. You coud create a formula using the function of SUMX to calculate the total values.

Measure = SUMX(Actual,[SameDayLY])

2.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It doesn't work for me. Smiley Sad

SameDayLY1 =
CALCULATE (
SUMX('Actual','Actual'[Actual]),
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Date' ),
YEAR ( 'Date'[Date] )
= YEAR ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) ) - 1
&& WEEKNUM ( 'Date'[Date] ) = WEEKNUM ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
&& WEEKDAY ( 'Date'[Date] ) = WEEKDAY ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
)
)

powerbi-matrix2.jpg

Hi @liboyjoseph ,

You need to create a new measure with SUMX function rather than change SUM to SUMX.

Measure = SUMX(Actual,[SameDayLY])

I attached my sample that you can reference.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Really appreciate your quick response and thanks a lot for the help. I think there's a problem with my date. It doesn't work. I will keep trying to find a solution. Please advise if you feel something needs to be corrected from my end.

powerbi-matrix3.jpg

Finally, I've found a solution. Below measure works for me. 

SameDayLYy =
CALCULATE(SUM ('Actual'[Actual]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATEADD('Date'[Date],1,DAY)))

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.