Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DiaLim

Same Value Shows Up Multiple Times in Preview and Graph

Hello 🙂

I have an exchange rate for a currency (CVE) and I want to do a graph that shows me the evolution of this currency during one year. In this case, it doesn’t have any variation during the year because the exchange rate is always 110,27, so when I do the graph it should show me a constant line. But it’s not what is happening. In data labels appears the same exchange rate (always 110,27), but the line doesn’t reflect it.

In the data analyses preview the value also shows up multiple times despite being the same value (110,265).

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂Data PreviewData PreviewLine Graph Same ValueLine Graph Same Value

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @DiaLim  @HotChilli 

I get this from product team:

The issue is in the precision of the double calcs - there is always a noise in the end so if I increase the formatting to show 15 digits I see the following:

4.JPG

To fix the issue user needs to select the Average Exchange rate column and switch the data type to "Fixed decimal number" using Modeling > Data type drop down in ribbon.

Result:

5.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @DiaLim 

I have tested on my side, but not reproduce the issue. There should be something wrong in other.

Could you please share your simple sample pbix file for us have a test.

You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft v-lili6-msft

Basically we have three excel’s that are going to Power BI (Câmbios Manual (Exchange rates_Manual), Câmbios XRT (Exchange rates_XRT) and Base. And there, in Power BI, we did a new table (Câmbios-Exchange rates) that compile all the information of excel Câmbios Manual and Câmbios XRT). In this new table we calculated the average per month of exchange rate.

Then we created a new table in Power BI in that we utilized the function SUMMARIZE in order to make sure that each month only appears once so that we can utilize it easily in the graph section.

FILE POWER BI:

https://gruposalvadorcaetano-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/dmli_gruposalvadorcaetano_pt/EZSkjfC8t...

TABLES:

https://gruposalvadorcaetano-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/dmli_gruposalvadorcaetano_pt/ETcq-np1I...

https://gruposalvadorcaetano-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/dmli_gruposalvadorcaetano_pt/ERwD0FkJY...

https://gruposalvadorcaetano-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/dmli_gruposalvadorcaetano_pt/EX3dVYTNj...

Thank you for your attention.

hi, @DiaLim 

I have submitted it to power bi product team, I will post it here once I get a reply.

Best Regards,

Lin

Hi @v-lili6-msft,

Thank you so much for your help and attention.

Best Regards,

DiaLim

hi, @DiaLim  @HotChilli 

I get this from product team:

The issue is in the precision of the double calcs - there is always a noise in the end so if I increase the formatting to show 15 digits I see the following:

4.JPG

To fix the issue user needs to select the Average Exchange rate column and switch the data type to "Fixed decimal number" using Modeling > Data type drop down in ribbon.

Result:

5.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Thank you so much for your help. It worked. 🙂 

Hi,

I hope you don't mind, i was having a look at this issue.

I don't have an answer for you but I did see that the difference in value (which comes from the calculated column)

Câmbio médio = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Câmbios'[Média]), ALLEXCEPT('Câmbios','Câmbios'[Moeda],'Câmbios'[Mês.média]))

is not visible in 'data view'

BUT is visible in 'report view' if you add the calculated column to a table visualisation (Do not summarize) and change the Format of the decimal number to show 14 decimal places. At this stage 110.26 becomes 110.26499999999999 or 110.26500000000001

------

One workaround for now would be to change the format of the y axis on the visualisation on your report.  You could enter 'start' and 'end' values which are less precise, for example, 110 and 114.  That would 'flatten' the graph.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.