Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BEKwiat

Same Filter, Different Result

I have built a table that should sum up the projected hours on required to complete a project based on what portion of the project and phase it is in.  I'm also doing a Visual Level filter based on the type of resource that is being used.  The concept is working though the numbers aren't right (this could be due to a data issue, I am working on that front separately), however while testing I found that I could get 2 different sums within the table if I used the inverted version of the filter.

Replacing names to be A, B, C, D, and E

Ex: Filter is A or B gives the Sums as 2, 3, 4 vs Filter is not C, not D, and not E gives the Sums as 7, 8, 9.  (This is being done via a basic filter and checkboxes)

I have no idea why this is functioning the way it is and I'm hoping that someone here could offer an explanation of why, because this is completely unexpected.  I would have thought that in a case like this the filter would return the same results.  Neither version give the correct sums according to my data, but it is enough of an oddity that I thought it was worth asking about.

Thanks and have a great day.

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

@BEKwiat
Based on my understanding, I reproduce your scenario and get the expected results without any issue.

I use the following sample data.

1.png

In the Visual Level filter, it will return below screenshot if we select all the Source, the Value is the sum of different Source.

2.png

Then I select the Source1 and returns the following screenshot.

3.png

Finally, I used the inverted version of the filter. Click the Advanced filtering, filter is not Source2, not Source3. The result is same vs the filter is Source1. To note, linking works must be “and” rather “no”.

4.png

If this is not what you want, please give post more details, sample data or screenshot for analysis?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.