Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Salesforce Connection - Browser error

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the Salesforce (Objects) connector.

It has worked perfectly this year, but lately it seems all our accounts on all pc's are unable to use it, and it looks like it might have to do with Salesforces Lightning version, which IE doesn't support.

PowerBI seems to be using IE in the log-on module, which gives a "unsupported browswer" error. We have tried using custom domain to get away from lightning experience, but Power-BI ends up in a lightning link anyway.

We have the connection running in PBIX which still works, but we can replicate or edit it.

It works fine with my personal "test" user, so I'm considering which settings on users which could be relevant - but I don't have any developers available (priority) to change or look at settings and don't seem to be able to access this information in Salesforce which my access.

Tried:

Reinstalling Power BI

Installing older versions of Power BI

Disabling Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer 11.0.145, 11.0.155

Several users and several pc's.

Maybe theres a way to force the Power-BI connector to use Chrome or Edge?

Anyone experienced anything like it?

Best, Rune

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

This was fixed for me and I also managed to work-around the issue through Power Flow.

The fix was that, the SF team had disallowed something (login?) in Salesforce in working with Internet Explorer. When they reversed this, everything worked again. This is on the lightning version. 

However, I noticed I could still login through Excel and thought to try if I could login through the Flow interface and connected to the Flow source from Power BI. Maybe try to check if you can login through Excel (still Salesforce connection) or Flow.

Best Rune

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My users have been having the same browser issue during authentication when trying to Get Data > From Salesforce Objects / Reports (in Excel).

Given it was working for Sys Admins, there had to be a Salesforce permission that meant that the authentication would be successful. 

After much trial and error, and for reasons unknown, the permission that is required to make this work is:

Manage Users

So - create a Permission Set with just this System Permission, and assign it to users that need this functionality. (Or add it to a Profile.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Another option around the IE11 authentication issue is to create a salesforce object dataflow entity to which you can connect your PBI Desktop model - to be able to do that, access to an on-premise gateway or installation would be required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Are there any plans to upgrade the connector soon to no longer go through IE11 ?

or is there a way to modify the explorer used by this connector for a newer one and supported by Salesforces ?

WabGC

I do have the same problem.

The following error message is displayed : "We don’t support this browser. Try opening this page in a supported browser."

How to solve this ?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @WabGC ,

in our case this was solved by opting to use Extended Support for MS IE 11 in Salesforce, here more about it:

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=getstart_browsers_sfx.htm&type=5

br. paula

Thanks to the below process provided by Salesforce support, the connection works now.

Follow the below steps to resolve the issue,

In Salesforce:
1. Click on the gear icon.
2. Click on Setup.
3. Enter Session Settings on Quick Find.
4. Click on Session Settings under Security.
5. Scroll down to the 'Extended use of IE11 with Lightning Experience' section.
6. Select I AGREE, Use IE11 with Lightning Experience during the Extended Period.
7. Click on Save.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that Power BI does not support Salesforce connection anymore. The reason is that Salesforce has opt out Internet Explorer 11 from supporting browsers and Power BI has IE11. Salesforce lightning doesn't have the option anymore to opt in IE until 31/12/2020 as they have announced. So PBI and SF are not connecting anymore and Microsoft should remove the option from data sources. 

Hello,

I am having the same issue.

Is this a reality for all users? any comments/article from Microsoft about it? 

Thanks,

JL 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

This was fixed for me and I also managed to work-around the issue through Power Flow.

The fix was that, the SF team had disallowed something (login?) in Salesforce in working with Internet Explorer. When they reversed this, everything worked again. This is on the lightning version. 

However, I noticed I could still login through Excel and thought to try if I could login through the Flow interface and connected to the Flow source from Power BI. Maybe try to check if you can login through Excel (still Salesforce connection) or Flow.

Best Rune

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

does this work for you currently or has Salesforce again disabled login with IE?

At least I can not get data from SF to PowerBI desktop due to this error.. 

("We don’t support this browser. Try opening this page in a supported browser.")

br

paula

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After researching, I still don't know why it happened and how to solve it. I think you could create a support ticket to get a dedicate support.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xue, 

Thank you for trying, 

I'm not able to use the link. When I login it sends me to power.com and when I return to community om logged out. If I try loggin in from the community it says I dont have Pro, and its maybe because my Pro license is not activated internally and I'm on the test version of pro, until I get a Pro from our Premium bundle. 

Best Rune

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oddly the connection works perfectly in Excel with the same connector. 

The Excel connection directs us to the "correct" landing page with OAuth2, but i'm not able to use it in custom domain in power-bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.