Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sales forecasting on a per month basis using projected total revenues, start and end date

Hi everyone, 

I've been scratching my head and searching for quite a while now, so time for my first post. 

I have a calendar table with dates, yearmonth etc., and a project quotation table with estimated revenues, an estimated start date and end date. I've got an active relationship between Calendar[Date] and Project[Estimated Start Date] and an inactive relationship between Calendar[Date] and Project[Estimated End Date]. 

What I want to do is to show estimated revenues by YearMonth. I want to split the revenues evenly on all days. For example, say I have a project starting the 10th  of May, running for 100 days with an estimated revenue of 100 million, I want to see the following: 

May 2019           June 2019            July 2019             August 2019     

Project X             21 mill               30 mill                31 mill                   18 mill

Hopefully you brilliant minds can point me in the right direction, I am about to give up (not really, but frustrated atm). 

Thanks, 

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You could use this way as below:

Step1:

Create a daily revenues column in QuotationTable

Project revenues/Day = DIVIDE(QuotationTable[Project revenues],DATEDIFF(QuotationTable[Estimated start date],QuotationTable[Estimated End date],DAY))

Step2:

Use this formula to add a new table

Table = 
FILTER (
    CROSSJOIN ( QuotationTable, 'Calendar' ),
    'Calendar'[Date] >= QuotationTable[Estimated start date]
        && 'Calendar'[Date] < QuotationTable[Estimated End date]
)

Step3:

Create a relationship between Calendar table with new table by Date filed.

Step4:

Now drag Year month from Calendar table, Quotation Name and Project revenues/Day from new table in a matrix visual.

Result:

1.JPG

and here is pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You could use this way as below:

Step1:

Create a daily revenues column in QuotationTable

Project revenues/Day = DIVIDE(QuotationTable[Project revenues],DATEDIFF(QuotationTable[Estimated start date],QuotationTable[Estimated End date],DAY))

Step2:

Use this formula to add a new table

Table = 
FILTER (
    CROSSJOIN ( QuotationTable, 'Calendar' ),
    'Calendar'[Date] >= QuotationTable[Estimated start date]
        && 'Calendar'[Date] < QuotationTable[Estimated End date]
)

Step3:

Create a relationship between Calendar table with new table by Date filed.

Step4:

Now drag Year month from Calendar table, Quotation Name and Project revenues/Day from new table in a matrix visual.

Result:

1.JPG

and here is pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lili6-msft 

Thanks for the great help here! Several tricks here I didn't know about, and it worked like a charm.  

Robert

AkhilAshok
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you provide some sample dataset which can be copy pasted?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Example file available in dropbox: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbfj0xr7hk7lgvt/Sales%20Forecasting.pbix?dl=0 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.