Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

enexius
Frequent Visitor

Sales Potential and new customers

Hi everyone,

I've the following task at hand, but couldn't figure out a solution yet.

I'd like to calculate two things:

1. Potential of Sales for a specific year (e.g. 2022). Potential is defined as: "Customer has a contract(s) in the year prior to the selected year, but not in the selected year (furthermore defined by the state of the contract = valid) or after." In the upcoming example this would be: Potential for 2022 = 15$ (Customer 2 has a contract for 2022 but it isn't valid)

One solution I found was to pivot the Contract year with the value, where i defined a measure like this:

Spoiler
Potential 2022 = 
CALCULATE(SUM(Potential[2021]),
Potential[2022]=BLANK(),
Potential[2023]=BLANK(),
Potential[2024]=BLANK(),
'Potential'[State of Contract]<>"expired",
'Potential'[State of Contract]<>"unknown")

but that didn't help with the second task.

2. Sales for new customers: Customer who didn't have contracts three years prior to the selected year. In the example below (for 2023) this would be 10$ (Customer 5 has no contract from 2020-2022).

I hope there is a solution to this. 

DepartmentCustomerOrder DateProcessContract StatePositionContract YearValue
A101.01.20213valid1202210$
A101.01.20213valid1202310$
A101.01.20213valid1202420$
A102.01.20214expired1202530$
A204.05.20193valid1202110$
A204.05.20193valid220215$
A210.12.20196expired120227$
B312.12.20209valid220228$
A208.01.202012unknown2202210$
C410.12.20207valid1202115$
A405.07.20205valid1202213$
C403.01.20191valid1202212$
B502.03.202018valid2202310$

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Enno

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
plainly
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Here is one solution with DAX (edited 25.2.2021). I think having a static field telling who is a new customer is valuable for many type of customer analytics. 

See sample file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_tavilUUe9PSoE2PYlF9mKEOCZW4LghY/view?usp=sharing

Below 2023 is the reporting year. The logic is that we need to know the previous contract year a customed had a contract before the reporting year. Then, customer is new if this year is 3 years away or if this year is not available.

2023 is replacable with a VAR you define or for example YEAR(today())

NEW COLUMNS:
1)
customer_last_contract_year = CALCULATE(Max(sales_customers[Contract Year]),ALLEXCEPT(sales_customers, sales_customers[Customer]))

2)
customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting = CALCULATE(CALCULATE(MAX(sales_customers[Contract Year]),FILTER(sales_customers,2023>sales_customers[Contract Year])),ALLEXCEPT(sales_customers,sales_customers[Customer]))

3)
New_customer = IF(sales_customers[customer_last_contract_year]>= 2023 && ( ISBLANK(sales_customers[customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting]) || (2023-sales_customers[customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting] >= 3 && NOT ISBLANK(sales_customers[customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting]))),TRUE,FALSE)

SALES VALUE NEW CUSTOMERS:
New_Customer_Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(sales_customers[Value]), sales_customers[new_customer] = TRUE)

Typically I would do this for a client with SQL or Power Query, with similar steps (SQL window function would help here too)

Check my Blog for more date calculation / what to use and when:

https://www.plainlyresults.com/blog/power-bi-dax-how-to-calculate-and-filter-based-on-dates/

https://www.plainlyresults.com/blog/when-to-use-dax-measure-vs-calculated-column-vs-other-tools/

View solution in original post

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @enexius ,

Please check the attached file,

SELECTED.JPG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @enexius ,

Please check the attached file,

SELECTED.JPG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

enexius
Frequent Visitor

@Icey: Thank you for your solution, this was a very well described example and worked flawlessly! Also your data set showed me some improvments in my table structure, which also helped performance-wise.

plainly
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Here is one solution with DAX (edited 25.2.2021). I think having a static field telling who is a new customer is valuable for many type of customer analytics. 

See sample file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_tavilUUe9PSoE2PYlF9mKEOCZW4LghY/view?usp=sharing

Below 2023 is the reporting year. The logic is that we need to know the previous contract year a customed had a contract before the reporting year. Then, customer is new if this year is 3 years away or if this year is not available.

2023 is replacable with a VAR you define or for example YEAR(today())

NEW COLUMNS:
1)
customer_last_contract_year = CALCULATE(Max(sales_customers[Contract Year]),ALLEXCEPT(sales_customers, sales_customers[Customer]))

2)
customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting = CALCULATE(CALCULATE(MAX(sales_customers[Contract Year]),FILTER(sales_customers,2023>sales_customers[Contract Year])),ALLEXCEPT(sales_customers,sales_customers[Customer]))

3)
New_customer = IF(sales_customers[customer_last_contract_year]>= 2023 && ( ISBLANK(sales_customers[customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting]) || (2023-sales_customers[customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting] >= 3 && NOT ISBLANK(sales_customers[customer_prev_contract_year_before_reporting]))),TRUE,FALSE)

SALES VALUE NEW CUSTOMERS:
New_Customer_Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(sales_customers[Value]), sales_customers[new_customer] = TRUE)

Typically I would do this for a client with SQL or Power Query, with similar steps (SQL window function would help here too)

Check my Blog for more date calculation / what to use and when:

https://www.plainlyresults.com/blog/power-bi-dax-how-to-calculate-and-filter-based-on-dates/

https://www.plainlyresults.com/blog/when-to-use-dax-measure-vs-calculated-column-vs-other-tools/

Hi @plainly i finally found the time to test your solution. It solved my problem and with a few minor tweaks I was able to adapt your formula to fit my viewer-enabled slicing (They can choose which contract year they want to look at).

So thank you very much!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@enexius , These blogs provide ways to get new customers, See if they can help with some modification

Customer Retention Part 1:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-1-Month-on-Month-Retention/b...
Customer Retention Part 2: Period over Period Retention :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-2-Period-over-Period-Retenti...

Hi @amitchandak ,

thank you for your reply. I looked through your blog post and understood, that I could divide some dimensions into different tables, as well as look into customer sales based on "order date". My problem with that, is that the order date for me is irrelevant for dividing customers into existing and new customers, and furthermore exlcude certain contract states.

My seperation (New/existing Customer) is based on wether a customer has a contract for Year X (2021) and doesn't have a valid contract three years prior to that.

I'm very sorry if I just couldn't put 2 + 2 together with the help of your blog, but maybe you could push me in the right direction again.

Cheers,

Enno

@enexius , Try a measure like 

measure =
var _1 = calculate(min('Table'[Year]), filter( ALLSELECTED ('Table' ),'Table'[Customer] <MAX ('Table'[Customer] ) && 'Table'[Contract] = "Valid"))
return
if( isblank( _1) || _1 < max('Table'[Year]) -2 , "New", "repeat")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.