Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

venug20
Resolver I
Resolver I

Sale & Marketing Data Source Connect to SQL Server Error

Hi experts,

I am trying to connect data source “SQL Server” from advanced editor, which I was download from Microsoft “Sales & Marketing Sample.PBIX” file.

My Server name is : DESKTOP-F125T7K

And My Database is : PowerBI

let

Source = Sql.Database(".", "IP", [Query="SELECT #(lf) p.ProductID,#(lf) p.Product,#(lf) p.Category,#(lf) Segment,#(lf) m.[ManufacturerID],#(lf) IIF(p.Manufacturer='Maximus', 'VanArsdel', p.Manufacturer) Manufacturer, #(lf) p.IsCompete#(lf)FROM [SalesAndMarketing].[Product] p, #(lf) (#(lf)  select distinct [ManufacturerID], #(lf)Manufacturer#(lf)  from [IP].[SalesAndMarketing].[Sentiment]#(lf) ) m#(lf)where m.Manufacturer = p.Manufacturer"]),

#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source, {{"Manufacturer", "Manufacturer"}, {"Category", "Category"}, {"Segment", "Segment"}, {"Product", "Product"}, {"ProductID", "ProductID"}, {"IsCompete", "IsCompeteHide"}, {"ManufacturerID", "ManufacturerID"}}),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns", {{"Manufacturer", type text}, {"Category", type text}, {"Segment", type text}, {"Product", type text}, {"ProductID", Int64.Type}, {"IsCompeteHide", type text}, {"ManufacturerID", Int64.Type}})

in

#"Changed Type"

Below one I modified…..

let

Source = Sql.Database("DESKTOP-F125T7K", "PowerBI", [Query="SELECT #(lf) p.ProductID,#(lf) p.Product,#(lf) p.Category,#(lf) Segment,#(lf) m.[ManufacturerID],#(lf) IIF(p.Manufacturer='Maximus', 'VanArsdel', p.Manufacturer) Manufacturer, #(lf) p.IsCompete#(lf)FROM [dbo].[bi_Product] p, #(lf) (#(lf)  select distinct [ManufacturerID], #(lf)Manufacturer#(lf)  from [PowerBI].[dbo].[bi_Sentiment]#(lf) ) m#(lf)where m.Manufacturer = p.Manufacturer"]),

#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source, {{"Manufacturer", "Manufacturer"}, {"Category", "Category"}, {"Segment", "Segment"}, {"Product", "Product"}, {"ProductID", "ProductID"}, {"IsCompete", "IsCompeteHide"}, {"ManufacturerID", "ManufacturerID"}}),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns", {{"Manufacturer", type text}, {"Category", type text}, {"Segment", type text}, {"Product", type text}, {"ProductID", Int64.Type}, {"IsCompeteHide", type text}, {"ManufacturerID", Int64.Type}})

in

#"Changed Type"

I am getting error like

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Invalid column name 'IsCompete'.

Details:

DataSourceKind=SQL

DataSourcePath=desktop-f125t7k ;PowerBI

Message=Invalid column name 'IsCompete'.

Number=207

Class=16

How can I resolve this… Pls help on this…

8 REPLIES 8
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @venug20,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for Respond to my post.

As per your previous reply.

The Old data source is "Access Database", Using Microsoft tool i converted to SQL DB. in that, What are column in table from old Data Source, same columns reflect in SQL aslo there is no chance to miss any columns.

Regards

Venu

Hi Venu,

Can the SQL Query run successfully in other tools like SSMS? Can you share the file? Are the blue parts just input error?

Source = Sql.Database("DESKTOP-F125T7K", "PowerBI", [Query="SELECT #(lf) p.ProductID,#(lf) 
p.Product,#(lf) p.Category,#(lf) Segment,#(lf) m.[ManufacturerID],#(lf)
IIF(p.Manufacturer='Maximus', 'VanArsdel', p.Manufacturer) Manufacturer, #(lf) p.IsCompete#(lf)
FROM [dbo].[bi_Product] p, #(lf) (#(lf) select distinct [ManufacturerID], #(lf)Manufacturer#(lf)
from [PowerBI].[dbo].[bi_Sentiment]#(lf) ) m#(lf)where m.Manufacturer = p.Manufacturer"]),

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft

I got this file from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/sample-sales-and-marketing

After that i want to edit from my "Power BI Desktop", it's through error like above....

Hi @venug20,

How did get the dataset and import it into SQL Server? There should be two tables [Product] and [Sentiment]. I only changed the Server name and DB name. It works. Can you share some snapshots of the status of tables in SQL Server? Since it's a public dataset, can you share the dataset?

let
    Source = Sql.Database("dale2016", "fortest", [Query="SELECT #(lf) p.ProductID,#(lf) p.Product,#(lf) p.Category,#(lf) Segment,#(lf) m.[ManufacturerID],#(lf) IIF(p.Manufacturer='Maximus', 'VanArsdel', p.Manufacturer) Manufacturer, #(lf) p.IsCompete#(lf)FROM [Product] p, #(lf) (#(lf)  select distinct [ManufacturerID], #(lf)Manufacturer#(lf)  from [Sentiment]#(lf) ) m#(lf)where m.Manufacturer = p.Manufacturer"]),
in
    #"Changed Type"

Sale_Marketing_Data_Source_Connect_to_SQL_Server_Error

Best Regards,

Dale

Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

What does it look like if you just connect to the data source on your localSQL Serever as a new SQL query? 

GET DATA -> SQL 

After you oenter your server you should see a list of DATABASES and/or TABLES after you select a TABLE or VIEW it will bring some sample data in with a SELECT ALL query. 

You can then prep you data in Power Query. Whats nice is PowerBI does Query folding so when you actually run it will push a filtered query up to the SQL server to pull in only the data you need. 

Thanks for reply Seward,

I am very new to Power BI....

i want to do practice with "Sales & Marketing sample.PBIX", can get from microsoft sample provided.

I am trying to edit with power query, in this situation it is asking "Edit Permission". when click on this button. i got above code. i am trying to change with my localhost SQL Server. while doing this process i am getting error.

How overcome this situation, i don't understand...

Pls help on this....

Hi @venug20,

If you want to change the data source to a new Server, the new data source should have the same tables as the old ones (mainly the same structure.)  

As we can see from the error message, you localhost SQL Server doesn't have a column "IsCompete". Please check out. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.