Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arijit
Frequent Visitor

Sage data connection

Hello, I am using the Power bi Desktop version, when I am trying to connect to Sage 50 accounts by using the ODBC, it dilog is showing all the tables but when I am selecting the tables it is giveng error as follows : 

SageError.jpg

Please help to make report from Sage ODBC. Thanks,

--Arijit Banerjee

9 REPLIES 9
andy636

I set up a script that will let you post the Sage data to an SQL db on a schedule without the SDK or expensive connector, please see my post here:

http://sysadmin2programmer.com/upload-sage-50-data-to-sql-server-sync-with-odbc

From here you could connect it to PowerBI

Anonymous
Not applicable

@andy636

Could you please post an alternative link? I can't access it from here, it gets blocked (proxy, new website, yadayadayada).

Thanks!

karlberan
Frequent Visitor

You may find this is an issue with Power BI being 64bit and Excel being 32bit. 

Untill recently Sage only had a 32bit ODBC driver.

hannahmunro

We had issues with it on other sites so we built a sage 50 connector - find out more HERE .... Please excuse the shameless self promotion! 😉

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@arijit This could be an issue with ODBC driver itself. Why do you need to use ODBC ? Can you not connect straight to database using default database connector within power bi such as for sql server or oracle ?

Thanks for your reply. It is not the issue of the ODBC, as MS Excel can fetch data using the same ODBC. As Sage is a accounting application I can not use any database connector. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The mystery is the version of SQL. Sage 50, unlike 100 and 200, uses a version called Pervasive SQL. Microsoft Power BI can't use that. 

Suntico (see posting elsewhere on this thread) do seem to have cracked that - but you would need to have a good look at their pricing, especially as you would probably need a number of Pro licences too.

Thanks @Anonymous 

Just to clarify, the Suntico pricing is per Sage 50 company.  Whether or not you need Power BI Pro licences will depend on your Power BI needs.

@arijit You may be interested as well, last week I published a Content Pack for Sage 50 Accounts.  You can find it on Power BI Service, under Get Data > Services.

You can also use the same credentials to pull  the raw Sage 50 data into PBI Desktop.

At the moment the data feed is pulling mainly sales-related information because that is the topic of the Content Pack.  We have plans to extend that.

Excuse the self promotion, but I thought you might find it useful.  You can also see a quick video here.  https://www.suntico.com/bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.