Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jasonh2hdigital
Regular Visitor

SWITCH TRUE doesn't return when table relationship

I have a basic Power BI report with three tables.

ReportFormat

(1 to many)

ReportChart

(1 to many)

GL

ReportFormat provides a structure I want for a financial report.

ReportChart provids link between ReportFormat and GL.

GL is the transaction table with Date, Chart and Amount.

The report will look something like this (generally Row Index is not seen and ReportItemsNormalised not included).

jasonh2hdigital_3-1618918760072.png

To bring data into against the ReportFormat using the 'Period Actuals' measure as shown below.

jasonh2hdigital_4-1618918803631.png

I use this method in a financial report.  It allows me to add in other calcuations into the report - e.g. GP % via calling other measures.

This works really well until I create a relationship between the ReportFormat and ReportChart tables.

jasonh2hdigital_1-1618917128106.png

When i add the relationship, the 'Period Actual' stops returning other measure called in the SWITCH(TRUE(), other than the 'else' part.  In the below case - it stops returning the Count of Sales.

jasonh2hdigital_5-1618918905884.png

If I delete the relationship - the Count of Sales works.  I want the relationship because I want to do a drilldown into the GL table details.

I have tried heaps of different measure and calculations in Period Actuals, but all work without the relationship and stop returning when relationship is established.

Happy to share my test pbix file (it is only 57kb).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonh2hdigital ,

Please take a look at the following output based on the relative fields from the three tables:

relatived.PNG

You could rewrite the original measure Filter(ALL('GL')  like this:

Measure = 
COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL('GL'),RELATED('ReportChart'[ReportItemsNormalised]) IN {"Total Income"}),[Amount])

Then the result works fine:

expected output.jpg

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonh2hdigital ,

Please take a look at the following output based on the relative fields from the three tables:

relatived.PNG

You could rewrite the original measure Filter(ALL('GL')  like this:

Measure = 
COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL('GL'),RELATED('ReportChart'[ReportItemsNormalised]) IN {"Total Income"}),[Amount])

Then the result works fine:

expected output.jpg

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-eqin-msft ,

I suspected it had something to do with a filter.  Nice work.  

If I wanted to filter the main report on date, what would I need to reflect this is the measure?

I played with ALLEXCEPT but not getting any sucess.  Any suggestions appreciated.

jasonh2hdigital
Regular Visitor

Thanks @v-eqin-msft  - I can understand very difficult to understand.

I have uploaded a copy of the pbix file in google drive - link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VMiLhmnVUhUE4_ACMHKgRuqRsjKkM-W9/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully it will help anyone willing to take a look at it.  Good luck!!

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonh2hdigital ,

Sorry for that the information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me.

Please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.