Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SVG image is not displaying (Broken image)

Hi,

I'm facing an issue of presenting the SVG image. I have set the data category to image URL, but it's still showing the broken image. I'm wondering which action I've missed.  

BTW, I have tested the SVG code as shown. 

Many Thanks.

Snipaste_2018-09-18_11-25-50.pngSnipaste_2018-09-18_11-29-23.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

From the SVG examples I have seen for Power BI, I believe that the <svg> element must have an xmlns attribute, which is normally set to 'http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' (I'm sure someone out there can explain why 🙂 ).

If you add that to the SVG text string, the image should display correctly - see below. (sorry the colon keeps changing to &colon;

Just change that back to a colon 🙂

"data&colon;image/svg+xml;utf8, <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' width='250' height='250'> <circle cx='125' cy='125' r='100' fill='#aeaeae'/> <text x='50%' y='50%' text-anchor='middle' fill='white' font-size='100px' font-family='Arial' dy='.3em'>3 </text> Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. </svg>"

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

@Anonymous

Sorry the "colon" thing was not my main point - that was just a forum formatting issue. The colon has to be an actual colon character :, not &colon; 🙂

Does the PBIX file linked below work? - I have entered you SVG image URL with the xlmns attribute added.

PBIX file link

The SVG URL should look like this (space after the colon character is optional - I just put it there so the code displays correctly in the forum):

"data: image/svg+xml;utf8, <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' width='250' height='250'> <circle cx='125' cy='125' r='100' fill='#aeaeae'/> <text x='50%' y='50%' text-anchor='middle' fill='white' font-size='100px' font-family='Arial' dy='.3em'>3 </text> Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. </svg>"

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mangeshmm
Regular Visitor

I have the exact same issue.  I have downloaded a bunch of SVG image data from the web.  Then when I go and convert this data into SVG images - only 1 of all the images converted actually renders (the rest show up as broken images).  I am certain there is nothing wrong with the data being used since testing the image data on html viewer renders the image correctly.  Further, there is nothing wrong in what i am doing to covert the image data into SVG since 1 image is rendering correctly as a  SVG image.  Using the same practice and process inexplicably does not seem to work for the other images.  This is totally frustrating since I have checked and rechecked the code (which includes pasting over from the image measure that actually renders).  Can someone pls pls help out - this is bizarre and frustrating and Ive spent way too much time trying to figure this out than what this seemingly straightforward process deserves

@mangeshmm How are you actually showing the SVG? Which visual are you using?

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

From the SVG examples I have seen for Power BI, I believe that the <svg> element must have an xmlns attribute, which is normally set to 'http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' (I'm sure someone out there can explain why 🙂 ).

If you add that to the SVG text string, the image should display correctly - see below. (sorry the colon keeps changing to &colon;

Just change that back to a colon 🙂

"data&colon;image/svg+xml;utf8, <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' width='250' height='250'> <circle cx='125' cy='125' r='100' fill='#aeaeae'/> <text x='50%' y='50%' text-anchor='middle' fill='white' font-size='100px' font-family='Arial' dy='.3em'>3 </text> Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. </svg>"

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @OwenAuger

Thanks for replying and helping. However, the problem is still here with or without '&colon'. I'm currently using the version of Aug 2018 and it works well with the example in this post, Sparkline

Many Thanks. 

Snipaste_2018-09-18_14-48-22.png

@Anonymous

Sorry the "colon" thing was not my main point - that was just a forum formatting issue. The colon has to be an actual colon character :, not &colon; 🙂

Does the PBIX file linked below work? - I have entered you SVG image URL with the xlmns attribute added.

PBIX file link

The SVG URL should look like this (space after the colon character is optional - I just put it there so the code displays correctly in the forum):

"data: image/svg+xml;utf8, <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' width='250' height='250'> <circle cx='125' cy='125' r='100' fill='#aeaeae'/> <text x='50%' y='50%' text-anchor='middle' fill='white' font-size='100px' font-family='Arial' dy='.3em'>3 </text> Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. </svg>"

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @OwenAuger,

Thanks a lot, it works! 

I misunderstand the '&colon;' thing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.