Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SUMX Too Slow - Solution is SUMMARIZE

Hi Community,

I need some assistance in undertanding why my SUMX is so slow performing and why the solution to my problem is SUMMARIZE.

To give you an overview of the solution i am working on:

I want to be able to view the

• Sales £
  • Discount £,
  • Discount % = Discount £ / Sales £
  • Target % = AVERAGE(Taget %)
  • vs Target % = (Discount % - Target %) / Target %
  • Pottential Savings = sumx(RETAIL_SALES,(RETAIL_SALES[Discount %] - Disc_Target[Target %]) * RETAIL_SALES[Ticket Price])

The model is the below:

Disc Model.JPG

So what is the issue i am experiencing?

The measure:

Pottential Savings = sumx(RETAIL_SALES,(RETAIL_SALES[Discount %] - Disc_Target[Target %]) * RETAIL_SALES[Ticket Price])

is returning the following error:

Disc error.JPG

When publishing my solution to the Power BI Service. 

I done much reading into this and understood that SUMX steos through the data one row at a time and is less efficient. What exactly does this mean with the above DAX Formula i put together, can anyone please explain this in their own words?

My understanding is this: the SUMX is trying to caclulate the formula at the lowest granularity for the specified Table which is 'Retail_Sales', hence it returns the max memory consumption error. If i am wrong please do let me know.

What solution have i found?

Part 1 is the below DAX Formula:

Manual Disc % - Target % = 
CALCULATE(

([Discount %]-Disc_Target[Target %]),
	        SUMMARIZE(
		        RETAIL_SALES,
		        STORES[Store Group],STORES[Store Name] 
	        )
)    

Part 2 is the below Dax Formula:

Ticket Price = 
CALCULATE(

SUM(RETAIL_SALES[Sales]),
	        SUMMARIZE(
		        RETAIL_SALES,
		        STORES[Store Group],STORES[Store Name] 
	        )
)    

Part 3 is the below DAX Formula which consists of the above:

Pottential Savings V2 = 
SUMX(VALUES(STORES[Store Group]),
        [Manual Disc % - Target %]*[Ticket Price]
)

After spending multiple hours on the above, can  someone please tell me why: the above 'Pottential Savings V2' is working brilliantly, whilst the SUMX equivalent is not performing at all.

Thanks,

Laz

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

How did you create your visual? Kindly share your pbix to me. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

All my data is sesnisitve. hence quite hesitant to share it. I know this makes it harder for anyone to help me out when i share a post like this.

In regards to how did i create the visual. If understood correctly, all i am using is a Matrix visual which i include the measure 'Pottential Savings' as a value. This measure includes the SUMX.

I am making the assumption that the SUMX measure is displaying this error message, as it goes to the lowest level detail and conducts the calculation row by row. Whilst, when i am using the alternative which is working, with the SUMMARIZE, i stay at a much higher level hence returns the needed result.

Thanks,

Laz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.