cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
srikanthgunnam Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

SUMX Function Degrading the Performance

Hello, I am using a SUMX function in one of my calculation. It is completely degrading the performance of visual. Here is my calculation:

Dummy =
CALCULATE(
              SUMX(DISTINCT(TBL[Account Name]),[Count])
)
In the above calculation count is a measure, which was calculated as follows:
CALCULATE(
              DISTINCTCOUNT(TBL[SaleType])
)
Can you please suggest me a way to improve the performance?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: SUMX Function Degrading the Performance

SUMX is iterator, that's why it's so much slower

how about the one below for your Dummy measure

CountUnique = COUNTROWS(SUMMARIZE(TBL,TBL[Account Name],TBL[SaleType]))
4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

SUMX is iterator, that's why it's so much slower

how about the one below for your Dummy measure

CountUnique = COUNTROWS(SUMMARIZE(TBL,TBL[Account Name],TBL[SaleType]))
Regular Visitor

Thank you so much!!! Worked like a charm

Regular Visitor

Hello @Stachu,

I have two tables like TBL and CUST. I have created the CUST table using the DAX.

CUST=
ADDCOLUMNS(
SUMMARIZE(FILTER(TBL,NOT(TBL[Account])=BLANK()),TBL[Account ],
"Sale",CALCULATE(SUM(TBL[Sale Amount]),FILTER(TBL,TBL[Ind]="Yes"),FILTER(TBL,TBL[Ind2]="Yes" && NOT(TBL[Code]) IN {"4"} ))
),
"Grp",
IF ( [Premium] >=0 && [Premium]<100, "0-100",IF ( [Premium] >=100&& [Premium]<500, "100-500",IF ( [Premium] >=500 && [Premium]<1000, "500-1000M",IF ( [Premium] >=1000, "1000+" )))))
Now, I have created a relationship between those two tables using "Account" column and created a Cust Grp column in TBL using Related(CUST[Grp]). I want build a customer count based on grouping. 
Problem:
Counts were fine when there were no filters applied but when I apply a filter on TBL tables Sale amount in CUST table is not filtering(I selected filtering as Both direction). As a result, counts in the group are not being calculated properly. 
For example, if I filter country in TBL to the "USA" the premium in the CUST table is not changing.

Please help me out!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!!!
Super User
Super User

Tables and calculated columns are only calculated once, once you refresh the table that holds them - they are never changing based on the slicer/visual filters

if you want to have changing Grp then you need to use a measure instead of calculated column.

If you need help with that I'd suggest creating a new thread with samples from both tables, and marking this one as solved - helps to avoid the clutter on the forum, and may help other user with similar SUMX problems Smiley Happy