Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SUMMARIZE using column from another table

Hi,

I am trying to summarize a table across Regions and Categories for the amont of Spend, but then I also want to add another column to the grouping for the 'Asset' which comes from a table linked to my 'Visibility Data - All Regions' table.

How would I best go about doing this? I was hoping I could somehow use the RELATED function but having no luck.

Below is my current table without Asset added in.

SUMMARIZE('Visibility Data - All Regions',
                        'Visibility Data - All Regions'[Region],
                        'Visibility Data - All Regions'[Group],
                        'Visibility Data - All Regions'[Category],
                        'Visibility Data - All Regions'[Sub Category],
                        "Revised Spend (USD)",
                        sum('Visibility Data - All Regions'[Revised Spend (USD)])
                         )

Thanks,

TG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

If that other table with Asset column is on the side of the relationship, then you can simply add it as GROUPING Column

=
SUMMARIZE (
    'Visibility Data - All Regions',
    OtherTableName[AssetColumn],
    "Revised Spend (USD)", SUM ( 'Visibility Data - All Regions'[Revised Spend (USD)] )
)

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

If that other table with Asset column is on the side of the relationship, then you can simply add it as GROUPING Column

=
SUMMARIZE (
    'Visibility Data - All Regions',
    OtherTableName[AssetColumn],
    "Revised Spend (USD)", SUM ( 'Visibility Data - All Regions'[Revised Spend (USD)] )
)

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zubair,

Thanks for the quick response but I tried that and I get the issue "The column 'Facility / Asset Name' specified in the 'SUMMARIZE' function was not found in the input table."

FYI - the data already being summarized is linked to the table containing Facility / Asset Name but on another column.

Any ideas?

TG

@Anonymous

Could you share your file?

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zubair,

Afraid I cannot as the data is very sensitive client data.

I have a main fact table containing the Region, Category, and Spend, as well as Cost Centre, I then have a seprate mapping table to map the Cost Centres to Assets. The same aggregation works fine in a front end chart not sure why I am getting this error when doing it in DAX.

Thanks,
TG

Hi @Anonymous,

Is the column in the ONE side of the relationship? If so, you can add it in summarize without any errors. Can you share a DUMMY sample that can reproduce the issue?

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Ah, I actually cleaned up my data model yesterday as I was previously using the new Many-to-Many relationship option for just one of the tables (the one I needed to get the extra column from!).

Trying the same code @Zubair_Muhammad suggested yeterday has worked perfectly! Is there a reason why this won't work on the MANY side?

Thank you both for you help.

TG

Hi @Anonymous,

As we can see from the definition on this site, SUMMARIZE returns totals over a set of groups. So what can we expect the totals of one-side from the many-side? 

I'm glad you solved the issue.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.