Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SUMMARIZE Not Returning Correct Sum Value

Hello,

I'm trying to perform a SUM of the Production Qty at the Scheduled Shift level which is the next level of granularity from MATERIAL_NUMBER but I'm not getting the correct summation. I performing this summation so I can calculate a weighted average for a downstream calculation.

The screenshot below shows what should be happening. For Shift 1, the field "Production Qty (Date-PlantNum-...) is the measure that I'm using the SUMMARIZE function in to sum the Production Quantity at the Shift level. Instead of returning 1,541, the values being returned are at the MATERIAL_NUMBER level....653 and 888. The Weighted Average should then be .4237 and .576 instead of 1.0000.

SummarizeNotReturningCorrectValue.PNG

Any guidance would be appreciated here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the "Group By" functionality in Power Query Editor worked for me. I followed the instructions near the bottom of this article link...Link 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I'm going to try and take a stab at it. What if you had the measure as something like...

Production Qty = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Production Quantity]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Scheduled Shift]))

... where the values for 'Table' are whatever table you're sourcing from.

The first 'Table' is the table that [Production Quantity] comes from, second 'Table' is that same table. The third 'Table' is the table from which [Scheduled Shift] is sourced from.

As for the weighted average (this is more of a proportion or weighted average coefficient, but a nomenclature debate is out of scope), you just do,

Weight Av = DIVIDE([Production Quantity],[Production Qty])

...but based on your values of 1.000, it looks like you may already be doing something similar.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

That's what I had originally but the records inflate as the ALLEXCEPT() function ignores any relationships configured in the data model and creates a foreach combination result.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense.

Can you post the formula you entered using SUMMARIZE to derive the 'Production Qty' measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the DAX behind the measure...

Production Qty (Date-PlantNum-PlantType-ProdLine-Shift) =
SUMX(
SUMMARIZE('HANA Production Fact','HANA Production Fact'[Scheduled Date], 'HANA Production Fact'[Plant], 'HANA Production Fact'[COS Production Line], 'HANA Production Fact'[Scheduled Shift],"Production Qty 1",CALCULATE(SUM('HANA Production Fact'[Production Quantity]))),[Production Qty 1])
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe this will work...

CALCULATE(
SUM('HANA Production Fact'[Production Quantity]),
ALLEXCEPT(HANA Production Fact,
'HANA Production Fact'[Scheduled Date],
'HANA Production Fact'[Plant],
'HANA Production Fact'[COS Production Line],
'HANA Production Fact'[Scheduled Shift]
)
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

You DAX proposal includes ALLEXCEPT() which will inflate my records. Unfortunately, this method won't work. I'm going to try the "Group By" functionality within the Power Query Editor and see if that gives me the desired results. I appreciate your efforts in trying to find a solution here!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the "Group By" functionality in Power Query Editor worked for me. I followed the instructions near the bottom of this article link...Link 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.