Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SUMIFs in PowerBI?

I need to do an analysis and I'm struggling with it. Basically I have three important things on my database: the date, the distribution center code and the vehicle's plate. I need to calculate the percentage of days that a specific vehicle shows up on the distribution center and classify them according to it (over 60% the vehicle is considered reliable and below that is not). I'm struggling with the fact that a vehicle can show up to multiple centers and on different months and the distribution centers have a different total of operating days.

For example. On January, the DC #4 was open in 30 days but the DC #5 opened for 20 days. If a vehicle that shows up to the DC 4 15 days is not reliable for that center (15/30 = 50%) and its reliable for DC 5 if it shows up for the same number of days (15/20 = 75%).

I've tried to do a reference table and do some distinctcounts but I'm struggling with it, since I need to count the number of operating days for a center in a specific month and the number of days the vehicle showed up in a specific center in a specific month. Is there an easier way to do it? In a dream scenario I would have this table below, so I could count how many reliable vehicles I had in a month:

Center     Month     Number of operating days      Plate      #Days Vehicle Showed Up       % Of Appearances      Type   

400          01                            25                          ABC123                 20                                          80%                   Reliable

400          02                            30                           ABC123                18                                          60%                  Reliable                            

Reminder: the database has a "random" number of lines for each cmbination of day-plate-distribution center (it depends on how large was the order and etc). I've done it in Excel and its much easier, but unfortunately I cant change the database.

I don't know if I'm being clear, please let me know. Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

We add some fake data into yours to have expected data, if using orgin data, it will get result 20/20 = 100%.

1.PNG

then we can just create  a calculated table to meet your requirement:

Test = 
ADDCOLUMNS (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            GROUPBY (
                'Table',
                'Table'[Distribution Center],
                'Table'[Date].[Year],
                'Table'[Date].[MonthNo],
                'Table'[Plate]
            ),
            "Number of operating days", COUNTROWS (
                DISTINCT (
                    SELECTCOLUMNS (
                        FILTER (
                            'Table',
                            [Distribution Center] = EARLIER ( [Distribution Center] )
                                && YEAR ( [Date] ) = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Date].[Year] )
                                && MONTH ( [Date] ) = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Date].[MonthNo] )
                        ),
                        "DateCount", [Date]
                    )
                )
            ),
            "#Days Vehicle Showed Up", COUNTROWS (
                DISTINCT (
                    SELECTCOLUMNS (
                        FILTER (
                            'Table',
                                && [Plate] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Plate] )
                        ),
                        "DateCount", [Date]
                    )
                )
            )
        ),
        "% Of Appearances", DIVIDE ( [#Days Vehicle Showed Up], [Number of operating days], 0 )
    ),
    "Type", IF ( [% Of Appearances] >= 0.6, "reliable", "not reliable" )
)

2.PNG

but if you want the calculated column in origin table, we can use the following formula:

Number of operating days = 
COUNTROWS (
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            FILTER (
                'Table',
            ),
            "DateCount", [Date]
        )
    )
)
#Days Vehicle Showed Up =
COUNTROWS (
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            FILTER (
                'Table',
            ),
            "DateCount", [Date]
        )
    )
)
% Of Appearances =
DIVIDE ( [#Days Vehicle Showed Up], [Number of operating days], 0 )
Type = 
IF ( [% Of Appearances] >= 0.6, "reliable", "not reliable" )

3.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for that, We cannot understand your data model clearly, Could you please provide a sample mockup table based on the expected result table you have shared or describle the fields of each tables and the relations between tables simply  if don't have any Confidential Information.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really sorry. I could not figure out how to put my excel sampla here. So I had to take a printscreen of it. Basically what I have in my data base is the following:

PowerBi Example.png

What I need to do: a distinctcount of dates from a month for each distribution center (to see how many days they opened in January, for example) and a distinctcount of dates that a specific vehicle showed up to that specific distribution center in each month. So I would like to have a column that repeated the number of days that the center opened in that month (in January, the distribution center 100 worked 30 days, so all lines from it and January would have 30) and a column that repeated the number of days that the vehicle showed up to that center (the ABC123 showed up 20 days of january). If I could do that, would be a matter of dividing 20/30 for every row with both conditions and it would return 0,66 (or 66%). What I need to do is classify that percentage with an if (if x% >= 0,6; "reliable"; "not reliable") in order to count how many plates are reliable and how many are not for each month. 

I hope that helps. Please, do you have any idea on how to do it? Thank you in advance!

@v-lid-msft 

Hi @Anonymous ,

We add some fake data into yours to have expected data, if using orgin data, it will get result 20/20 = 100%.

1.PNG

then we can just create  a calculated table to meet your requirement:

Test = 
ADDCOLUMNS (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            GROUPBY (
                'Table',
                'Table'[Distribution Center],
                'Table'[Date].[Year],
                'Table'[Date].[MonthNo],
                'Table'[Plate]
            ),
            "Number of operating days", COUNTROWS (
                DISTINCT (
                    SELECTCOLUMNS (
                        FILTER (
                            'Table',
                        ),
                        "DateCount", [Date]
                    )
                )
            ),
            "#Days Vehicle Showed Up", COUNTROWS (
                DISTINCT (
                    SELECTCOLUMNS (
                        FILTER (
                            'Table',
                        ),
                        "DateCount", [Date]
                    )
                )
            )
        ),
        "% Of Appearances", DIVIDE ( [#Days Vehicle Showed Up], [Number of operating days], 0 )
    ),
    "Type", IF ( [% Of Appearances] >= 0.6, "reliable", "not reliable" )
)

2.PNG

but if you want the calculated column in origin table, we can use the following formula:

Number of operating days = 
COUNTROWS (
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            FILTER (
                'Table',
            ),
            "DateCount", [Date]
        )
    )
)
#Days Vehicle Showed Up =
COUNTROWS (
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            FILTER (
                'Table',
            ),
            "DateCount", [Date]
        )
    )
)
% Of Appearances =
DIVIDE ( [#Days Vehicle Showed Up], [Number of operating days], 0 )
Type = 
IF ( [% Of Appearances] >= 0.6, "reliable", "not reliable" )

3.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have some confidential informations, but I'll try my best to simulate my data base with some fake data. I just need a couple of minutes 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.