Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sy898661
Helper V
Helper V

SUM function not working?

Hi, can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong?!?!

*ATS = Adherence to Schedule (DATEDIFF of Planned and Actual completion)

I have this calculated column full of 0's and 1's saying if the ATS column is not blank and = 0, 1, otherwise 0.

STEP10 ATS On Time = If(AND(NOT ISBLANK('Query'[STEP10 ATS]),'Query'[STEP10 ATS] = 0), 1, 0)

And when I filter the column to only show 1's, we get 13 of them (so 13 rows are not blank and =0, meaning they are on time).

2.PNG

So I created this simple measure:

STEP10 SUM ATS On Time = SUM('Query'[STEP10 ATS On Time])

But when I put that measure on a card to see what it came up with.... it says 2. what?!

3.PNG

Am I using the wrong function? Is this saying there are 2 values instead of actually summing up all the 1's?!

What do I doooo 😞

Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sy898661 ,

Current power bi not support to create dynamic calculate column/table based on filter/slicer, you can only use measure to achieve dynamic result based on filters.

Filters are works on visual level which generated from data model tables. Filter will update if any changes apply on its parent.(data model table)
Calculated column/table are stored on data model level, you can use parent level(data model) to update its child(measure, visual, filter, data view level) but it is impossible to use child to effect parent.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sy898661
Helper V
Helper V

Note:

I also have a column that sums all the ATS's

and that total gives me 28 (when i put the measure on the card)

But when I run my measure that is:

DIVIDE(SUM(ATS On Time), SUM(ATS Count))

the measure says 13% ............ 2/28 = 7.14%

Why isnt this working? 😞

Hi @sy898661 ,

Current power bi not support to create dynamic calculate column/table based on filter/slicer, you can only use measure to achieve dynamic result based on filters.

Filters are works on visual level which generated from data model tables. Filter will update if any changes apply on its parent.(data model table)
Calculated column/table are stored on data model level, you can use parent level(data model) to update its child(measure, visual, filter, data view level) but it is impossible to use child to effect parent.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-shex-msft for explaining that! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.