Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SUM different row

Hi,

I'm a beginner in Power BI and I have (I think?) a simple question:

I have currently this table (Total is a calculated column)

Col1ValueTotal
A1100 
A2200 
B1300 
B2400 
A.Total  
B.Total  

And I need to calculate the Total column as follow:

A.Total = Value[A1] + Value[A2] 

B.Total = Value[B1] + Value[B2]

final result:

Col1ValueTotal
A1100 
A2200 
B1300 
B2400 
A.Total 300
B.Total 700

Im not sure if I should use a measure or a calculated column for this calculation, for now: I'm trying with a Custom Column, Can you please advise if this script is correct ?

Calculte(SUM(["A1"]+["A2"]),FILTER(["Total"]="A.Total"))

and 

Calculte(SUM(["B1"]+["B2"]),FILTER(["Total"]="B.Total"))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I was in vacation.

I'm not sure if this is the right method by the admin to mark a reply as solved, that's definetly NOT the solution that I was looking for. Having admin rights doesn't mean you can do whatever you want...

The right way that I did is:

1) Pivot those rows into columns in Power BI Queries with language M.

2) Create a calculated column to sum up the new pivoted columns.

3) Unpivot those columns into rows.

This wroked great !

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I was in vacation.

I'm not sure if this is the right method by the admin to mark a reply as solved, that's definetly NOT the solution that I was looking for. Having admin rights doesn't mean you can do whatever you want...

The right way that I did is:

1) Pivot those rows into columns in Power BI Queries with language M.

2) Create a calculated column to sum up the new pivoted columns.

3) Unpivot those columns into rows.

This wroked great !

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Sabri, 

I am sorry for my solution not  helping you and I  accept  it as solution(it might just suitable for my scenario), if this is not the solution, you coud unmark this case. By the way, it seems that you solved this problem, if so and if you'd like to, you could mark corresponding post as answer or share your solutions. That way, people who in this forum and have similar issue will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zoe,

I will. I'm still learning PBI and your answers helped me a lot for understanding M mechanism, thank you so much for this !

Have a nice day/evening !

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Sabri,

You could try to achieve this in M code like below

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjRU0lEyNDBQitUBcoyAHCMoxwkkYwzjgGRMQJxYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Col1 = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Col1", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted First Characters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "First Characters", each Text.Start([Col1], 1), type text),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Inserted First Characters", {"First Characters"}, {{"sumtotal", each List.Sum([Value]), type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Col1", each [First Characters] & "'s sum total"),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Inserted First Characters", #"Added Custom"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Appended Query",{"First Characters"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

474.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question, do you want the summed up data listed in the table itself or during runtime in a visual?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi epappu,

In the table itself.

Visual function are used for sum only, the issue is that I need to use some soustraction and divide formula as well.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sabri - 

I tried to do a similar dataset in a local pbi file, and please see the screengrab below. I think this will help you get your totals irrespective of how many rows you have starting with A or B.

2.PNG

If this helped you, please accept this as solution.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply, the table of my OP was an exemple, if I change the name as below, I'm sure if this would work ?

Col1ValueTotal
External Revenue US100 
Internal Revenue US200 
External Revenue GBP300 
Internal Revenue GBP400 
Global Revenue US  
Global Revenue GBP  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sabri,

Yes, it should work if you change the formula like this...

3.PNG

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Epappu,

My mistake, yes it works. However I noticed if I add a month column as below, It will sum up all the months. Is there a way to calculate by month ? a FILTER inside another filter ?

Col1MonthValueTotal
External Revenue USJan100 
External Revenue USFeb150 
Internal Revenue USJan200 
Internal Revenue USFeb250 
External Revenue GBPJan300 
External Revenue GBPFeb350 
Internal Revenue GBPJan400 
Internal Revenue GBPFeb450 
Global Revenue USJan  
Global Revenue USFeb  
Global Revenue GBPJan  
Global Revenue GBPFeb  

Sorry to bother you but I'm still learning the logic behind Dax language. Thanks again !

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Sabri,

It seems that you change the requirement,  you could try to change M code like below

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs7PMVTSUfLNzyvJANJhiTmlqUqxOtFKrhUlqUV5iTkKQallqXmlqQqhwUB5r8Q8IGloYIBHjVtqEkiNKUSNZx5uc4wM8KmBmGNkisMud6cAuEHGuBwEUQQxyRiXi5BNMsHlJGSTTEAmxQIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Col1 = _t, Value = _t, Column1 = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Col1", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted Text After Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Text After Delimiter", each Text.AfterDelimiter([Col1], " ", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd}), type text),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Inserted Text After Delimiter", {"Month", "Text After Delimiter"}, {{"sumtotal", each List.Sum([Value]), type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Col1", each [Text After Delimiter]&" "& [Month]&"'s sum total"),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Inserted Text After Delimiter", #"Added Custom"}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Appended Query",{"Text After Delimiter"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.