Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SUM and MAX

Hi Guys. 

Requesting assistance on the following: 

I have a table where each unique person ID has hours entered against a week. 

IDWeeks since placementHours completed each weekTarget hours to be completed each week
a12315
a22115
a34215
a42315
a52115
a62315
b12223
b22123
b32023
c11530
c21630

What I am trying to do is have a single record for an ID which shows the number of hours behind. 

For example, for ID b, the person has completed 63 hours in total (22+21+20) where as the person should've done 69 according to target hours (23+23+23). 

Is there a way I can have a single record which shows SUM(total hours completed) - (MAX(weeks since placement)*(Target hours to be completed))

The issue is, on the table it comes up as each row of unique of person with different weeks in each row. I wanted to summarize it in the format below

PBI.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

you can create a calculated table like

Table 2 = 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    DISTINCT('Table'[ID]);
    "Hours Behind";CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours completed each week]);ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[ID]))-CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Weeks since placement]);ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[ID]))*CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Target hours to be completed each week]);ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[ID]))
)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

Untill you can write that yourself - I would ALWAYS reccomend having that in 3 or 4 sepperate rows Collumns, unless your data set already has more than Many rows and millions of lines. - 

Also I would do a behind pr week collumn  - since this is also a good way to see a development if you plot it.

Also Since you have a Target pr week in each line  - why not use that  --- so if you ever encounter that it can warry over a project periond your calculations is still correct

Insert a new collumn with this formular if you just want the result:

Behind total = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Target hours to be completed each week]); FILTER('Table';'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]))) -CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours completed each week]); FILTER('Table';'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]))) ​

New collumn Behind pr. week:

Behind this week = 'Table'[Target hours to be completed each week]-'Table'[Hours completed each week] 

Hope this help... but also hope you add more columns to better understand the formulars and calculatitions, this has helped me alot of times.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

Untill you can write that yourself - I would ALWAYS reccomend having that in 3 or 4 sepperate rows Collumns, unless your data set already has more than Many rows and millions of lines. - 

Also I would do a behind pr week collumn  - since this is also a good way to see a development if you plot it.

Also Since you have a Target pr week in each line  - why not use that  --- so if you ever encounter that it can warry over a project periond your calculations is still correct

Insert a new collumn with this formular if you just want the result:

Behind total = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Target hours to be completed each week]); FILTER('Table';'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]))) -CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours completed each week]); FILTER('Table';'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]))) ​

Behind this week = 'Table'[Target hours to be completed each week]-'Table'[Hours completed each week] 

Hope this help... but also hope you add more columns to better understand the formulars and calculatitions, this has helped me alot of times.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Rygaard. That's a good advice thank you for that. Having 3 or 4 columns would be easier to work with. I'll try to use the formula you provided. Cheers for that. Will let you know if it works.
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

you can create a calculated table like

Table 2 = 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    DISTINCT('Table'[ID]);
    "Hours Behind";CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours completed each week]);ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[ID]))-CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Weeks since placement]);ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[ID]))*CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Target hours to be completed each week]);ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[ID]))
)

LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi AZ38. The solution worked to some extent, it gave me the following error: 

"A function 'CALCULATE' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks az38. I believe all that info is on a single calculated column?
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

It is a new calculated table (Modeling ribbon -> New table)

LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @az38 

Sorry I am quite new to Power BI. I clicked on the ribbon to make a New table enterring your formula, and got the same error, This is my formula that I had been using: 

Table 2 =
ADDCOLUMNS(
DISTINCT(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[Jobseeker Id]),
"Hours Behind", CALCULATE(SUM(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[Weekly Hours]), ALLEXCEPT(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks,vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[Jobseeker Id]) - CALCULATE(MAX(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[Anchor Week Diff]), ALLEXCEPT(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks,vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[Jobseeker Id]) * CALCULATE(MAX(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[BM Hours]), ALLEXCEPT(vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks,vw_DES_Outcome_Tracking_13_26_52Weeks[Jobseeker Id]))
)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.