Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

I_Like_Pi
Resolver II
Resolver II

STDDEV error Results to large

I am receiving a strange error. when I try to calculate Standard Deviation I get "The result of a conversion or arithmetic operation is either too large or too small".

I tried to skin this a couple ways. I first tried to do it by building a summary table, i.e.

Sum_FranData = SUMMARIZE(Data,
      Data[Franchise],
      "MerchantCount", DISTINCTCOUNT(Data[Merchant Name]),
      "Tot_FrnSales", [M_TotalSales],
      "Avg_FrnSales", [M_Avg_Sales],

"SD_FrnSales", STDEV(Data[Sales]))

I then stripped the SD calc from the summarize and attempted to add it back by adding a column

SD_FrnSales = STDEVX.P(FILTER(Data,Data[Franchise]=Sum_FranData[Franchise]),Data[Sales]) 

In both cases I get the same Result too large error.  I am now going to 2 stage this, keep the SD calc out of the first summary but add a Squared Variance Calculated column to Data then build a second summary of the Average (Squared Variance) rooted. ...  that is what SD is, i think. It appears to work.

It appears to work, but I am hoping there is a better way that someone might suggest.

[Edited to fix Spelling, grammer [;)] and clarity. Sadly English is my first language]

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @I_Like_Pi,

Can you please provide the sample file which you used? I test with some data but can't reproduce the issue.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Sorry no I can't provide the sample data as it would be production. I have been doing some digging and think it is because I am running the 32bit version of power bi and the data set is too large. We have some legacy apps that require 32bit office and because I connect power bi to access I had to use the 32bit version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors