Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alicebotteri Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

SSRS to PowerBI

Hi guys, 

I have a tabular report in SSRS and I want to know if is possible to embedded it into a powerBI solution.

Any one could help me ? 

Thanks

Alice 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xjiin-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SSRS to PowerBI

Hi @alicebotteri,

As I know currently it is not supported to embed SSRS report into Power BI desktop. 

But you can pin a SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) report to Power BI Dashboards. By doing this, there's few options you should be mentioned. 

1. First, credentials must be stored in the report in order for the object to refresh. The pinning process actually creates a SSRS subscription which requires stored credentials in order to execute.
2. Furthermore if you change the item name, the object will stop updating based on the subscription. Also if the pinned object is deleted, the related subscription is not deleted and must be removed manually.
3. Lastly, if you try to pin an object and the SQL Server Agent is not running, the following error results. The SQL Server Agent where the SSRS database resides must be running in order to pin objects.

For more details, please refer: Pinning a SQL Server Reporting Services Report to Power BI 

Or you can upload your SSRS report to Power BI on-prem report server. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/quickstart-create-paginated-report 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Sort of, but perhaps not exactly what you want. See this blog article

http://biinsight.com/ssrs-2016-power-bi/

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

v-xjiin-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @alicebotteri,

As I know currently it is not supported to embed SSRS report into Power BI desktop. 

But you can pin a SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) report to Power BI Dashboards. By doing this, there's few options you should be mentioned. 

1. First, credentials must be stored in the report in order for the object to refresh. The pinning process actually creates a SSRS subscription which requires stored credentials in order to execute.
2. Furthermore if you change the item name, the object will stop updating based on the subscription. Also if the pinned object is deleted, the related subscription is not deleted and must be removed manually.
3. Lastly, if you try to pin an object and the SQL Server Agent is not running, the following error results. The SQL Server Agent where the SSRS database resides must be running in order to pin objects.

For more details, please refer: Pinning a SQL Server Reporting Services Report to Power BI 

Or you can upload your SSRS report to Power BI on-prem report server. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/quickstart-create-paginated-report 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 108 members 1,444 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: