Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dmoor349

SSRS Style Matrix Groupings in PowerBI

Hello,

My company is evaluating PowerBI as a possible replacement for SSRS.  However I'm beginning to see that PowerBI seems to be designed for higher level dashboards, and may not be as sophisticated as SSRS for building complex reports.  Specifically I'm looking to replicate the matrix grouping functionality in SSRS which would allow me to place a chart (or really anything I wanted) into a grouped cell, and have that item repeat for each group.

This wouldn't require any hard-coding of groups.  I just needed to select a field on which to group.

As an example, grouping on country,

Country             Sales Breakdown
----------------------------------------------
Canada|
            |
            |       Pie Chart Here for Canada
            |
            |
            |
Mexico|
            |
            |       Pie Chart Here for Mexico
            |
            |
            |
USA     |
            |
            |       Pie Chart Here for USA
            |
            |
            |

Unless I'm missing something, the PowerBI matrix only seems to support simple text data.  Any ideas on how I could achieve what I'm looking for here?

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dmoor349 ,

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not achieve this feature, but you may refer to below link that could design your reports with Report Builder and published in Power BI Service:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-report-builder-power-bi

Reagrds,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dmoor349 ,

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not achieve this feature, but you may refer to below link that could design your reports with Report Builder and published in Power BI Service:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-report-builder-power-bi

Reagrds,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply Daniel.  That's what I was afraid of.

Looks like we'll have to keep SSRS in the picture for now.

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.