Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSAS Tabular Translations and PBI Desktop, Excel and PBI Service - translations don't work!?

Hi, i need help on SSAS translations not appearing on PBI Desktop and on Excel:

Context: Portuguese guy using PBI/Excel in a Windows VM with Regional Portuguese settings, and developing in SSDT/SSAS in another Windows VM with Regional French settings. As the language by default in SSDT is in this case fr-FR (with a bad mix of french/english attribute names used), it doesn't appear as option in Tabular translator tool (i think this is the reason), so i'm trying a clean French translation in pt-PT, so that i can test on my VM. Sorry, maybe too much information, but maybe the problem is somewhere in the settings...

So, I've used Tabular translator to create a clean French translation associated to the pt-PT "locale", but the translation didn't appear on the Excel on my system, i had to force the LocaleIdentifier=2070 (for Portugal) on the Excel connection and then it appeared with the changes. Though this is not Excel forum, does someone know or have any idea why do i have to force the LocaleIdentifier? Basically, if i don't force this attribute on connection, translations don't work.

In PBI Desktop, the same is happening - I can't see the translations associated to my language, and as i'm connected to a SSAS tabular, i can't change the settings in the PBI report file... how can i change them????

Finally,  another related questions:

- is this already working in PBI Service?

- to change PBI desktop program language, i have to download and install the version,right?

Thank you and best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'll answer this post myself:

PBI Desktop is compatible with SSAS translations, but not with the gateway - so it doesn't work

PBI Service is not compatible with SSAS translations

Excel is compatible with SSAS translations, Excel can "see" the region setting in Windows and open the corresponding translation.

For some reason, some times this fails and we need to place LocaleIdentifer=1036 (ex. for France) in the Excel's connection to SSAS.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

AFAIK, power query has a local transform option to help convert data type with specific local text.

Local date formats in Power BI

Unfortunately, query editor not available when you use live connection mode, you can only consider to transform them in database side.

BTW, for SSAS translations related issues, you can post to SSAS related forum to get better support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'll answer this post myself:

PBI Desktop is compatible with SSAS translations, but not with the gateway - so it doesn't work

PBI Service is not compatible with SSAS translations

Excel is compatible with SSAS translations, Excel can "see" the region setting in Windows and open the corresponding translation.

For some reason, some times this fails and we need to place LocaleIdentifer=1036 (ex. for France) in the Excel's connection to SSAS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.