Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BrianMiller
Regular Visitor

SSAS / Power BI

I have an SSAS server that experiences massive memory usage when I connect PBI desktop to it to try to publish a report.  I don't experience this issue with our clunky, old, on-premise server.  I am using the same gateway to access both servers.  Why would the beefier Prod server have memory issues only when interrrogating using PBI?  When I emulate the query using the SQL browser, I don;t get the memory drain problem.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi BrianMiller,

You said " I am using the same gateway to access both servers. ", so you are connecting to ssas in import mode, right? Power bi has some limitation about your data size, you can refer to this answer: https://www.quora.com/Can-I-import-a-10-GB-data-set-into-Power-BI.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I am not connecting in import mode.  I am using the on-premise gateway to connect directly to SSAS db.

Hi BrianMiller,

So this issue happens in power bi service, right? The data size limitation in power bi service is same with that in power bi desktop.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy,

I don't think there is any limitation whatsoever since I am reading the data directly from an SSAS dtabase in real-time, NOT importing the data.  Besides, the entire cube is tiny, less than 1 GB. 

Also, the report renders just fine when using a different server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.