Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSAS Measures definition will not appear in Power BI

We are not able to see a definition entered for SSAS measure in Power BI(PBI) desktop. Table definition and other column definitions entered in SSAS will show up as expected in PBI desktop.

This is so inconvenient as we need to open SSAS (and tabular model) to find out what is the undelying DAX logic related to a measure. Having the logic or the DAX query itself as part of the measure definition (and shown in PBI) will help big time.

I am not sure whether the issue is at SSAS or PBI. But wanted to just indicate the issue and get your feedback.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please open the tabular project in SSDT, then click Process All like below, then deploy the model. 

q4.PNG

In Power BI desktop version 2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018), get data from this SSAS tabular, check if the measure description is displayed now. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to aplogise for my previous comment. It worked after i added the definitin to the measure and THEN did Process All. Thanks for clarifying this and the quick response.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The measure Description displays as a tooltip when you hover over the measure in the Power BI development enviroinment. 

But how can we make the measure Description  display as a tooltip for report users on the published report?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for your update. Smiley Happy

As the issue is resolved now, I will close this thread. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to aplogise for my previous comment. It worked after i added the definitin to the measure and THEN did Process All. Thanks for clarifying this and the quick response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun, We always do the Process All and then deploy the tab model. What has changed since I posted this question ? I dont see any difference. Were you able to see the Measure description in Power BI Desktop ? If yes, appreciate if you can share some screen shots.

Thanks,

Srikanth

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please open the tabular project in SSDT, then click Process All like below, then deploy the model. 

q4.PNG

In Power BI desktop version 2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018), get data from this SSAS tabular, check if the measure description is displayed now. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 74641272. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.