Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rayishome
Resolver I
Resolver I

SSAS MD Queries are slow on import

Running SQL Server 2016 SSAS MD.  When importing data (not connecting live) the queries seem to take forever.  Running the profiler and obtaining the MDX Power BI generates then running it via SSMS directly against the cube the queries are split second response time.  I can take the same MDX (that Power BI Generated) and pass in as a query (vs letting Power BI build it) with the same performance issues.  Not sure what Power BI is doing to take so long to run. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rayishome,

I am not familiar with MDX performance. But after researching, it seems that there is no direct way to speed up when Power BI importing data from SSAS via MDX. Here is a similar idea you could vote it up.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

What's odd about this issue is the MDX is not poorly written by Power BI, but instead something else seems to be occuring which is impacting the performance.  I've taken the MDX direclty from the profiler running it via SSMS wihtout having any issue.  I've also taken the same MDX which runs in seconds via SSMS and directly input into the MDX query box.  Doing so it still runs poorly! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.