Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jockefe
Helper II
Helper II

SSAS Live Connection and Mutiple Data Sources

I know that we allready have a lot of posts on this topic and that there is an "idea" created on the subject: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12532173-ssas-get-data-multiple-d...

But has anyone heard anything from MS if this has been considered? Are there technical show stoppers?

I use OLAP and Tabular cubes as my main interface would like to combine the data with external data sources.

Import data is an option for some cases but there are two huge disadvantages: 1) big cubes takes to long to import if not possible at all 2) Power BI rearanges the data into one denormalized table (you can import dimensions one by one but it will not work for measure groups)

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jockefe,

Handling more than one SSAS database with the LiveConnect mode is certainly a very complex task. In this mode Power BI does not have a data model and rely on the one in SSAS.

But in SSAS you cannot do a DAX/MDX query that crossjoin data from 2 different databases. And this is clearly a showstopper.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @jockefe,

If you have resolved your doubt, please mark the helpful reply as answer, so that more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jockefe,

Generally, there will be status under the feature request as follows if the idea is under view. Please have a look at it.

1.PNG

In addition, for any information about the feature request, I have tried some means to ask, if there is any responds, I will post the update here. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.