Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSAS Live Connection - SSL Certifcate Error

I am having some trouble trying to LiveConnect to the tabular data model in Power BI Desktop. To give an idea of the environment. We have the data model constructed in SSAS but the actual data resides in a separate SQL Server. So to clarify, SSAS Instance 1 deployed from SQL Server 1 but data for the model resides on SQL Server 2. I can use my Windows credentials to successfully log into both SQL Servers and the SSAS instance via SSMS and view the data.

I am trying to LiveConnect to the SSAS instance and encountering this error: 

SSASError.png

I receive this error when I try to connect via Import mode

SSASImportError.png

This error lists "(Source at (SQL Server 2, SQL Server 2 Database Table))"

Could this be an SSL Certificate problem? Is this error stemming from the fact that the data does not reside in the current data model?

I recall reading a few posts where FQDN was required for a gateway to resolve SSL certificate issues but for now this is just my local machine and no gateway is used.

1 REPLY 1
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Are both programs installed on the same VM?If not is a network connection between both VMs configured?

Is the SQL Server Browser service running?

As you can see "Limitations of SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop" from below article: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-ssas-multidimensional#considerations-and-limitations

Best Regards,

Liang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.