Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSAS - Error Due to Insufficient Memory on server

Hi There, 

I just recently started using PowerBI with the goal to replace our old(static) existing reports with new dynamic reports.

We have choosen to use Live Connection with SSAS as this was the most advanced method, and was the most efficient way to handle the data exported from our ERP system. 

But just as I started building some of the reports in PowerBI, I'm having some issues with PowerBI Desktop regarding Memory of my server when using a table view. When I insert a table into my report it works fine until i select more than 6 columnfields (from either 2, or 3 FieldListMeasureGroups/FieldListEntities). The moment I insert a 7th field PowerBI starts processing, and processing, and processing, but does not return a result. The memory usage is increasing in a lineair manner. After multiple minutes I get the error that we have unsufficient memory available on our server, which is correct, as PowerBI has consumed al the memory, but I think is hard to believe that a 7th column in a table should cosume this much data.

Serverinfo:

- 40GB of server memory

- 4 Processors

- 64-bit version

- I am currently the only person working on the server. 

- Visual studio (browse on the cube) gives results within seconds. 

- The data I am trying to retrieve is just 25 rows (although the dataset is much bigger)

I have researched this issue, and as the data retrieval is live on SSAS, the data retrieval options are limited in PowerBI. Does anybody have a clue how I could possibly resolve this error? 

Please let me know if any more information is necessary.

Kind Regards,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, 

Thanks for the reactions, but I think I just now got the "solution/workaround".

I think my issue is perfectly described in this topic: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Large-Table-and-Matrix-resultset-crashes-slow-SSAS/td-p/159...

I checked, and it works just fine when the Totals are eliminated. 

Kind Regards, 

Paul

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

it's difficult to say what's going on. Without a detailed analysis.

A good starting point can to use DAX Studio to trace what queries are generated by PBI Desktop.

Maybe it's some inefficient DAX statement.

I'm sorry that I can not provide more guidance at the moment.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tom, 

Thanks for the info. 

I will try DAX Studio.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, 

Thanks for the reactions, but I think I just now got the "solution/workaround".

I think my issue is perfectly described in this topic: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Large-Table-and-Matrix-resultset-crashes-slow-SSAS/td-p/159...

I checked, and it works just fine when the Totals are eliminated. 

Kind Regards, 

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

SSAS live Query is purely depend on the amount of RAM in the source system. It is recommended to have 16 GB RAM for better performance. 

Similarly, network speed. It should be better bandwidth and high frequency to process your data while using Cube.

And, one more possibility to check, you can delete the existing table in the model and connect it afresh with the added columns.

Regards,

Pradeep

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.