Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SSAS Date type live connection

Hello guys, I have a period dimension in SSAS but when I take it to a PBI it doesn't have a hierarchy. I did create a hierarchy in SSAS but it doesn't look the same and don't have the same functionality as otherwise. how can i bring date from SSAS to Power BI with whole functionality

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The "automatic" date hierarchy in Power BI Desktop is made up of 2 main parts.

1. Power BI builds a hidden date table with Year, Quarter, Month, Day columns and creates a hierarchy over these columns. SSAS will not automatically build this like Power BI does, but it's not hard to build this sort of table manually.

2. The second thing that Power BI does with the auto-date tables is to link them to the original date column with an internal object called a Variation (this is what lets you switch between using the Date and the Hierarchy). Unforunately there is currently no way to create Variations in SSAS. This just means that you have to manually chose to use either the Hierarchy or the Date column

So you loose a tiny bit of flexibility while building your report, but you should be able to build identical reports over SSAS or a Power BI model. 

Unless your SSAS cube is very small I don't think I would recommend switching to import mode just to get access to the Variations functionality.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @giorgi_lommidd 

You need to use import mode.Reference:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-hierarchy-in-a-report-connected-to-a-SSAS-model/td-p...

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The "automatic" date hierarchy in Power BI Desktop is made up of 2 main parts.

1. Power BI builds a hidden date table with Year, Quarter, Month, Day columns and creates a hierarchy over these columns. SSAS will not automatically build this like Power BI does, but it's not hard to build this sort of table manually.

2. The second thing that Power BI does with the auto-date tables is to link them to the original date column with an internal object called a Variation (this is what lets you switch between using the Date and the Hierarchy). Unforunately there is currently no way to create Variations in SSAS. This just means that you have to manually chose to use either the Hierarchy or the Date column

So you loose a tiny bit of flexibility while building your report, but you should be able to build identical reports over SSAS or a Power BI model. 

Unless your SSAS cube is very small I don't think I would recommend switching to import mode just to get access to the Variations functionality.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.