Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinW_SDP
Helper I
Helper I

SSAS Current User Blank

I created a Tabular cube in SSAS 2017. I have Row Level Security in the cube and it works great. I still need to be able to see who the logged in user is though to do some claculations. I have tried the following measures:

Current User:=USERNAME()

Current User:=USERPRINCIPALNAME()

If I browse the cube using Management Studio,  I see values. However, if I browse the cube using Power BI Desktop, the measure is blank. I published the report to a Power BI Reporting server to see if that would help and the measure is still blank.

Any thoughts? 

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Your user are coming from same verication system like active directory etc ?

Yes, it is using active directory and all users are in the same domain. The systems I am loggin onto are computers on the domain so they should be picking up the Windows user. This works when using SSMS, just not Power BI.

@KevinW_SDP ,

Have your sever AD been added as an admin of the cube instance? You can refer to the doc below:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/how-authentication-with-analysis-services-live-connections-...

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, it connects and the Dynamic Row Level Security works. I am able to log into a machine as different users and verify that I can see the data related only to that user. 

I have a service account set up that everything runs through. The service account is a domain account that is dedicated to this task and has the appropriate permissions as far as I can tell since the Row Level Security is working fine.

The part that isn't working is me being able to use the following calculation as it just returns blank.

Current User:=USERNAME()

It seems to work in the row level security filter DAX, but doesn't display anything when using it in a calculation.

@KevinW_SDP ,

Both username() and userprincipalname() works well on my side. Will return the domain name in a calculate column on my side so I'm afraid I could not reproduce this issue. I would suggest you create a support ticket here for further analysis.

Support Ticket.gif 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thank you. I just put in a ticket and will update with an answer if Microsoft is able to help me figure out the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors