Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSAS Connection String for Tabular From Desktop is Formatted Incorrectly

Power BI Desktop version: Version: 2.71.5523.941 64-bit (July 2019)

Tabular connections (live connection) are now being created as Server\\tabular in the desktop when publishing a report.

When trying to use the dataset from the report, we are now getting a message "There is no gateway to access the data source XXX"

The gateway is configured correctly with Server\tabular and the test connection continues to work as expected. We also tried adding the Server\\Tabular but then it wouldn't connect - just to prove that the connection string should be this way.

Is this is known bug? Is there a fix or workarond?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi dataguy

As you could see above, in my image, the datasource information will be server\\instance, but this will show correctly in gateway201.PNG

So I think your problem should be that not mapping to correct gateway.If you have same datasource connection string which exist in gateway, you could map this to corresponding datasource in gateway, like my above image(I map this to tabular). You could try this to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi dataguy,

When you use premise datasource, you need to set gatewy way for this. If you didn't set gateway for this datasource, you might will get below error

202.PNG

Then when you click to "add to gateway", it will show like below(it will automatically change to server\instance)

200.PNG

Then you will get result like below

201.PNG

By thw way, to make refresh or get data correctly, you also need to make sure your effective name's mapping correctly

204.PNG

You could refer to Manage your data source - Analysis Services for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have the definition in the gateway just fine. This has worked for us for over a year. 

Recently new published reports cannot access the dataset.

If you go into the Settings for the Dataset, it shows the list of possible Gateways.

Then when you expand one to see why it is not working, it shows - AnalyServices{"server":"myserver\\tabular","database":"MyDatabase"}  Add to Gateway

So as you can see it thinks the connection string needs a \\ which is incorrect. The connection string exists on a gateway and has for over a year as myserver\tabular and has been working.

So any more thoughts?

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi dataguy

As you could see above, in my image, the datasource information will be server\\instance, but this will show correctly in gateway201.PNG

So I think your problem should be that not mapping to correct gateway.If you have same datasource connection string which exist in gateway, you could map this to corresponding datasource in gateway, like my above image(I map this to tabular). You could try this to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.