Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

SSAS 2012 MD Calculations are not working

Hello,

I'm using SSAS 2012 MD connector with PowerBI and we created few calculation on our cube, like YoY Growth, YoY Growth %, MoM Growth, MoM Growth %, in BI Desktop I only get value for "current dates"  when I use date calculations from SSAS and if I choose any other calculation, I get NA. I'm wondering if this feature is still not available in current SSAS connector.

Thanks in advance,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This sort of date calculation is typically implemented with Named Sets in MD, which are not supported yet in the Gateway.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@parry2k you can use the time calculations created in OLAP cube. They are shown as seperate dimension under the original dimension. Can you please share your screen shot so I can better understand the scenario?

Hey Harris,

Here are the screen shots, one shows dimensions added to the data model and other shows what that dimension contains:

Dimension ValuesDimension ValuesCalculated Dimension in ModelCalculated Dimension in Model

Hope this is helpful. When I filter data on "current dates", i get the value but if I filter data on any other field, I get NA. At the same time I wrote MDX query and tested the result, it works fine.

Thanks,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Does anyone has input on this or tried using the calculated fields from SSAS MD ? Would like to hear if it is a known issue with SSAS live connector or something I'm not doing right.

Thanks in advance,

P

This sort of date calculation is typically implemented with Named Sets in MD, which are not supported yet in the Gateway.

Thanks a lot. At least it will give me closure that I am not doing something wrong.

SSAS MD support in Power BI is the closer to what is supported in Power View. Even in Power view Chris called out the below

http://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2012/11/09/power-view-on-ssas-multidimensional/

'The consensus in the session room was that the SSAS team had done a really good job thinking through all the details of how this will work. In general your existing cube will not need to be redesigned, it will just work and all your queries and calculations will return the results you expect

But some things are not supported: if you have named sets or actions they will not be exposed; in some scenarios calculated members on non-measures dimensions will not be exposed either, but time utility dimensions should work; and cell security is not supported either – if a user is a member of a role that has cell security applied, they will not be able to run DAX queries.'

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.