Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

miguegallop
Regular Visitor

SQLDUMPER.EXE BlackWindow Closes Power BI

Hi,

Ive just updated Windows 10 (December 17) and since then every time im creating a relationship between tables in Power BI a Black Windows pops up and closes the program. The link above the window is .../Microsoft Power BI Desktop/bin//SQLDUMPER.EXE.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thankyou very much,

Miguel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kevcurtis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @miguegallop,

This issue has been submitted and accepted as an issue which should be addressed in the January update.

As a work around try using the "Manage relationships" dialog to edit or create relationships - this has worked for me an does not crash Power BI if an invalid relationship is attempted.

Manage replationships.png

See the thread here:

PowerBI Desktop Crashes December 2017 Update

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
hansei
Helper V
Helper V

Using the latest version, I get at least one crash per day with the SQLDUMPER console popup. Not even retrieving data from a SQL source, although it is installed on the same machine.

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi,
The same here June update. When copying new queries in the advanced editor. Does someone post a bug? I can't find it. ErrorSQLdumper.png 

@Jmenas @Anonymous 
Seem to have found a temporary solution to the error, but I could be wrong. If I click on 'Done' instead of cancel when copying information from the advanced editor (both do the same thing), the SQL dumper window does not show up. Let me know if this works for you!

Hi @mostvp123 ,

Thanks that helped for some cases, but still if I am copying the query i.e. from notepad to PBI and I click done I get the SQLdumper windows 😞 

Best,

J.

Same error. Not always, seems random, but happens sometimes when copying in the advanced editor. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jmenas 

Same for me, it's really really **bleep**. 

xerxel
Advocate II
Advocate II

This error is back again in June release Version: 2.70.5494.562 64-bit (June 2019)  😞

Indeed, I experience the same in June 2019 release version...

It's also doing it on the July and August 2019 updates

Quindici
Frequent Visitor

Just to close this loop. My own experience is that this issue went away in the March release. No idea why, but I havent seen it since then

I am seeing this same issue and running the November 2018 release. I am using Azure SQL Database as my datasource

It almost seems that I can bypass this issue when I am working "off network" and not activelly connected to the Azure SQL database. Once I adjust the relationships in my composite data model, I reestablish connectin and go back to work.

I'm seeing it suddenly (like in the last 5 days) in the August 2018 on-premise version of the client.  Could an update have brought it back?

@JoeRobert06 wrote:

It almost seems that I can bypass this issue when I am working "off network" and not activelly connected to the Azure SQL database. Once I adjust the relationships in my composite data model, I reestablish connectin and go back to work.

syilmaz
Frequent Visitor

Dear all,

I exprerienced similar scenario several times. Before publishing the report from desktop, fortunately I saved it to my local. Once I initiated the publish I saw black window (couldn't see the name) for a very short time and power bi closed itself. A debug log file was also generated as

[0320/180609.498:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0xa8b0253a00000000, size 0xb4 fully unreadable
[0320/180609.498:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0xa8b0255a00000000, size 0xb4 fully unreadable
[0320/180609.498:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0x0, size 0xb4 fully unreadable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't updated to Feb release yet. This week it happened to me three times. All happened when I had been working for quite some time in the desktop app. And whenever it happens, it signs me out. In one case, I had two instances running, but only one of them had the problem. It was the one where I had been working in for some hours, the other one I had opened a few minutes before. That seems to confirm my earlier suspicion that it has to do with some session timeout.

I found a new workaround that seems to do the trick: Save the file and close the app. Then open the app, open the file, make sure you're signed in and then publish. So far it worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Knock on wood but it hasn't happened to me in a week since I observe above rule.

pmosbacher
Regular Visitor

This makes the product unusable for me. I just upgraded to the Jan release and cannot make a single relationship between any of the tables included in my report. Is there a workaround? Using the relationship manager still causes a crash.

pmosbacher
Regular Visitor

This makes the product unusable for me. I just upgraded to the Jan release and cannot make a single relationship between any of the tables included in my report. Is there a workaround? Using the relationship manager still causes a crash.

Manu1977
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem with the January update. I'm not able to open my file. When I try to do it appears a black window SQLDUMPER.EXE and the close the program.

How can I proceed????

Anonymous
Not applicable

It just happened to me again. I was signed in, and when I clicked on Publish, my username in the upper right corner turned kind of black with white text, the window title bar said Power BI (not responding), after a while I was able to cancel the Publish dialog, and instead of my username it said "Sign in". I decided to close Power BI desktop and do a clean start before signing in, and when I closed the window, the SQLDUMPER buggered in.

Could it be related to some timeout and the user's session status?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.