Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wodraeve
Frequent Visitor

SQL timestamp reads as binary... How to convert?

Hi,

I'm reading from a SQL Server table using Power Query, and the Timestamp Data Type is returned as a binary type in PQ.

How can I convert this Binary type to a DateTime / Decimal / Hexadecimal representation?

Thank you,

Wouter

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi wouter,

I face the same situation : did you solved the way to convert TimeStamps to text or date time ? 
The proposed solution is not solid and documented.

Didier

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi wodraeve,

You can call Text.FromBinary(binary as nullable binary, optional encoding as nullable number) to convert binary data to text data.

Then call Date.FromText(date as nullable text, optional culture as nullable text) to convert text data to date data.

Also, you can call Number.FromText(text as nullable text, optional culture as nullable text) to convert text to number.

Regarding number to hex, you should write a custom function with a hash table, please refer to this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/convert-from-hexadecimal-value-to-number/td-p/28435.

All the function above can be wrapped like Date.FromText(Text.FromBinary(......)).

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuta,

This does not help at all : the conversion to text does not work, especially for SQL Server Timestamp, which is seen as a binary by Power BI.
Please provide convinient solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.