Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdormer
Helper I
Helper I

SQL - "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided"

Good morning, 

I am having difficulty connecting from my local Power BI Desktop to a SQL server in a client's environment. My account has read access on the database, however, when I try to connect I get the error message "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again." After logging into the VPN, I can ping the remote SQL server, but my account is not authorized for remote login to the machine. Is remote login required in order for my account to connect to the SQL database from Power BI?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You need to provide Server credentials not windows. Use Other Tab.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MDKCLIRResearch
Helper III
Helper III

I am seeing the same thing. 

I can connect without any issue using Windows Authentication from SSMS.  

I cannot connect with the same credentials from Power BI.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jdormer,

There could be many causes. Do you have SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) in your computer? You can try to connect to SQL Server in SSMS first. Then you can exclude some possibilities. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I believe the server has SSMS, but I do not have access to remotely connect to the server. 

Based on the response from @rocky09, it sounds like only SQL credentials will work?

Hi @jdormer,

Do you have the SSMS in your computer? You can log into the SSAS with SSMS. If you can, your credential should be good.SQL We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided1.jpg

Did you get the error message like this? This means your credential is invalid. Please contact the DBA or check it yourself.

SQL We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided2.jpg

Did you enable the TCP/IP connection?

SQL We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided4.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Does this mean that I cannot update a report that was created by someone else?

My colleague created a report and sent it to me. I saved it as something else and now I cannot refresh the report because it is asking for credentials. When I try to sign in as me, it gives me an running script error and it will not refresh.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrea

Thanks, @v-jiascu-msft and @rocky09 for your response.

Used SQL credentials and was able to connect. 

rocky09
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

try this:

Get Data --> Blank Query-->

= Sql.Database("xx.xx.xxx.xx", "SchemaName", [Query="Query here"])

First time, it will ask for credentials, provide SQL Credentials. :).

I hope, this will help.

Thanks, @rocky09. Currently, I am going to Get Data -> SQL Server, entering the Server and DB, then selecting Windows Credentials and entering Windows credentials that have read access on the database. Can the connection be made with Windows credentials?

You need to provide Server credentials not windows. Use Other Tab.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.